New Proxmox host - network configuration

KennethD

Apr 8, 2022
Hi all

I am completely new to Proxmox and have just installed my first host. Its an IBM server with multiple NICS, and i have some issues with understanding the way proxmox sets up the NICS. I am unable to connect to the host at the address i setup (https://192.168.1.127:8006).
Basically i just want a setup with a NIC going to my management VLAN (192.168.1.130) and another NIC going to my Homelab Network.

I have tried to modify /etc/network/interfaces to reflect this, but no matter what, i cannot ping my Proxmox server.
This is what i currently have in interfaces:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enx2542cd5624ffbt inet auto

iface eno1 inet auto

iface eno2 inet static
   address 192.168.1.130/24
   gateway 192.168.1.1
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.1.1

iface ens1f0 inet manual

iface ens1f1 inet manual

iface eth0 inet auto

iface eth1 inet auto

I have added eth0+1 to see if dynamic ip was working, but no luck.

I have read some of the network config documentation from Proxmox, but that did not solve my problem sadly.
Can anyone help with a standard network configuration, that will allow me to connect to the server at least?

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iface eno2 inet static
address 192.168.1.130/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
That looks weird because of duplicates. Please try this for eno2:
iface eno2 inet static address 192.168.1.130/24 gateway 192.168.1.1 dns-nameserver 192.168.1.1
And make sure the ethernet cable is connected to the port of eno2.

EDIT: The output of ip a and ip r might be useful for troubleshooting.

Thanks for the reply.
I simple do not understand the way Proxmox seem to configure the network. Also, it appears to ignore what i configure in /etc/network/interfaces.
I will do a clean install i think, and post the /etc/network/interfaces config here... give me 10 minutes.

I simple do not understand the way Proxmox seem to configure the network. Also, it appears to ignore what i configure in /etc/network/interfaces.
I will do a clean install i think, and post the /etc/network/interfaces config here... give me 10 minutes.
You need to reboot to make sure the new configuration is applied. Note that what you showed is not how the Proxmox installer sets it up initially. Proxmox configures the network in much the same way the underlying Debian GNU/Linux does.

Default /etc/network/interfaces should look like this for what you want:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet staticl
    address 192.168.1.130/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameserver 192.168.1.1

iface ens1f0 inet manual

iface ens1f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
That way eno1 could be used for your homelab network (by connecting VMs/LXCs to the bridge vmbr0) and eno2 for management.

Then you should do systemctl restart networking so the new configurations will be used and the PVE webUI should be acessible by https://192.168.1.130:8006.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replys. Sorry for the late response, i was hit by the flu.
I ended up trying to use another NIC, and for some reason it all worked. But i cannot explain why, since the first NIC also works perfectly.

Reactions: Spirog

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!