New Mobile App for Proxmox VE!

Reactions: Tealk
same error in version 1.0.2...

Can you please post that CTs config, I'd guess that the manually added lxc.idmap stuff not supported in any of our GUIs are the issue... Having an actual look to confirm that would be great, we may want to just plainly ignore any lxc. config property in the app.

So sad this doesn't work without Google APIs installed... A real bummer.
Can live with the fact it is not on FDroid (one separate device has play store access) but the app requiring Google services installed makes it practical useless for me :/

So sad this doesn't work without Google APIs installed... A real bummer.
Can live with the fact it is not on FDroid (one separate device has play store access) but the app requiring Google services installed makes it practical useless for me :/
I think we need to be patient, as @tim and @t.lamprecht already said they are looking into that.
F-droid won't accept google play store dependencies.
If they really pull off getting the app accepted in f-droid repo, this would be a huge step forward and an example to other companies.

Reactions: Scot and ptitgnu
Still I am convinced feedback is important and necessary. That's why I shared my opinion.

Reactions: janssensm
Still I am convinced feedback is important and necessary. That's why I shared my opinion.

Yes sure, and we're appreciating it.

F-droid won't accept google play store dependencies.

We do not have any dependencies on exclusive Google Play Store features/APIs.
IIUC, tburger means rather that the Google Play Store needs to be used for now.

IIUC, tburger means rather that the Google Play Store needs to be used for now.
See that's interesting, because I really ment what I wrote. ;) I have pulled the app from a device with play store, extracted the apk and used it on my device. The result: it crashes upon start.
Typically this happens when apps try to access google APIs on the device and they are not installed and the developers are assuming they are.
Together with what I read here I undertstood it requires the APIs installed...
What else could be the cause then?

I have pulled the app from a device with play store, extracted the apk and used it on my device. The result: it crashes upon start.

That really is not a supported way of installation, though. Doing any manual extraction and then getting a crashing App does not really surprise me...

Typically this happens when apps try to access google APIs on the device and they are not installed and the developers are assuming they are.
And I meant what I already stated ;) We do not use them. The app also build down to native Linux and other OS, without any google app library dependency.

Together with what I read here I undertstood it requires the APIs installed...
What else could be the cause then?
Where did you read that here?

If you have doubts, why not just check out the code?
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=flutter/proxmox_dart_api_client.git;a=summary
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=flutter/proxmox_login_manager.git;a=summary
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=flutter/pve_flutter_frontend.git;a=summary

PS: you can also use that to build the App yourself, which then is a standalone APK for real - no buggy extraction required ;)

Reactions: KB19
Tons of others do work just fine with this approach, including Firefox, Chrome and others.
So I am tempted to say it is not the extraction part per se.
Anyways. I got what you said on the first post already and also already admitted that I did misunderstand. My idea was to explain what brought me to the conclusion I expressed.

It may come better across if one first asks if there are any Google Play libraries used, when they are not able to audit the open source code for themselves, and not plain starting out to imply that this is the case, from some possible completely unrelated observation. We really try hard to provide a fully Open Source experience here, that's why an implication of willingly linking against proprietary libraries, even if we state otherwise, is taken rather serious.

Anyway, it'd be great if you can share some more information - i.e., Device, Android Distribution used (and which version) what tool was used for the app extraction, was there anything to be seen before the crash, ...

I just tested the app on an GAPPS free Android-x86 VM (a 8.1 based was the one I could get my hands on the quickest, the others surprisingly all shipped GAPPS), and there it works fine out of the box - didn't need to alter a single thing.
I uploaded a build here: https://lamprecht.org/download/pve/pve-mobile-app/pve-mobile-testbuild.apk (sha256sum 2a1ce7d831151bc2043497179e985e20c33cfa757cf417db39bd81d9a01bb2ce)
Maybe you get around to test that.

Reactions: morph027
Allright.

You seem to have taken that quite personal which was never my intention to offend someone.

First of all I wanted to provide feedback.
Could I have done this more gently? Yes.
Could I have done this with a different wording? Yes.
Could I have done this with further backing my conclusion on facts? Yes!

I was firstly mislead by the fact this is only provided via google store and went of track.
Have I been disappointed at that point? YES!

Do I admit all that - yes! (Done so already BTW.)
So the only additional thing I can do now is to apologize:
SORRY FOR MAKING A FALSE STATEMENT.

I am using a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 with LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) - Patch level is from Sept. 2020

The system I extract all my apks from is a Galaxy S5 with Google play store (opengapps) and lineageOS 16.0 (Android 9). Using the "apk extractor".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui&hl=de

The test build is larger than the one I have extracted which either confirms your theory (the apk extract ruins it) or there is something else odd going on. Seems also not to crash upon start *thumbsup*. Thanks for that!

Now just please consider to put that apk on the download page of proxmox - side by side to the ISO. Offer people a choice to get that functionality without the need of the play store.

You will have at least one thankful advocate (me).

Reactions: eXsoR

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!