New Mobile App for Proxmox VE!

Hello together!

Is there also an app planned for iOS?
If so, is there already a release date?

Greets LaviS
Have you read the previous 5 replies to this thread? ;)

Hey! I've just realised that mobile browser version is working on pve8. Finally. It's pointless to have for me, but I'm glad that ability to sign on started working after upgrade. :D

It doesn't work if you use TOTP
If the totp window pops up, you can press enter or whatever you want, but you cannot send the code or "enter the code" :)

Screenshot_20230808-184038~2.png

That's what i mean

Same with the android app, i cannot get past totp.
On all my PVE 8 Servers :)

EDIT:
Aaaaaahhhh, the android app works on all my Proxmox servers, must been an update in last month or so, since i tryed last time :)
Awesome :cool:

The mobile version still not, but it's anyway somewhat not that useful, i find the mobile version a bit too ugly, you cannot do there much, you don't see there much...
Idk, dunno for what there is the need for the mobile version anyway in this state.
I would personally abandon it, if it means that people put their time into that, while they could their time into something more useful.
But that's just an opinion, im not in the right to tell someone what they have todo :)

Cheers :)

Last edited:
The mobile version still not, but it's anyway somewhat not that useful, i find the mobile version a bit too ugly, you cannot do there much, you don't see there much...
Idk, dunno for what there is the need for the mobile version anyway in this state.
I would personally abandon it, if it means that people put their time into that, while they could their time into something more useful.

With that being said, the question that comes in my mind is: What are the advantages of the/a mobile app in contrast to a (hypothetically) feature rich and good optimized and looking mobile webui?
Or with other words: Why was a mobile app (that is even "only" available on Android (and no, I am not a Apple user)) developed from scratch, instead of (in the current state, heavily) extending and optimizing the, since 2014, already existing mobile webui?
Is the further development and maintenance of the mobile webui so much more involving/complex/complicated than developing and maintaining a mobile app from scratch?
Or are there functions that can not be implemented in a mobile webui at all?

Since I have no clue and only see advantages on a mobile webui over a mobile app, I would love to read (optimally from a Proxmox development point of view) about the pros respectively cons of both.

Of course, everything meant related to PVE/Proxmox products.

Not meant negatively; I am only curious :) (and a bit sad, that the mobile webui seemingly does not get (any?) love anymore :().

With that being said, the question that comes in my mind is: What are the advantages of the/a mobile app in contrast to a (hypothetically) feature rich and good optimized and looking mobile webui?
Or with other words: Why was a mobile app (that is even "only" available on Android (and no, I am not a Apple user)) developed from scratch, instead of (in the current state, heavily) extending and optimizing the, since 2014, already existing mobile webui?
Is the further development and maintenance of the mobile webui so much more involving/complex/complicated than developing and maintaining a mobile app from scratch?
Or are there functions that can not be implemented in a mobile webui at all?

Since I have no clue and only see advantages on a mobile webui over a mobile app, I would love to read (optimally from a Proxmox development point of view) about the pros respectively cons of both.

Of course, everything meant related to PVE/Proxmox products.

Not meant negatively; I am only curious :) (and a bit sad, that the mobile webui seemingly does not get (any?) love anymore :().
You're right, a mobile webui could actually be more useful as the application.

But i meant in the current state. If you compare both right now, the webui lacks a lot compared to the app.
If it would have been the opposite, i would have said, abandon the app :)

But yeah, abandoning the webui is actually not an option either, because of apple, it didn't came into my mind at the moment i wrote the previous post.

same here with PVE self signed CA certs on Miui 13 (Android 12).

...resuting in NO noVNC :(
Was this resolved or being looked at? I use a local CA to generate all my internal certificates and everything I connect with browser or app over my VPN, has no issues with my certs, except this. I believe it's possibly caused by the app using it's own trusted CA store it ignores user installed certs, Firefox has this issue on Windows as it doesn't use the cert store of the OS but it's own. Many Java apps are the same. The app either needs to use the OS store or allow for the import of trusted certificates - not checking should be an option of last resort.

BTW, it's a great app, nice job.

Reactions: panchuz
It doesn't work if you use TOTP
If the totp window pops up, you can press enter or whatever you want, but you cannot send the code or "enter the code" :)

View attachment 53997

That's what i mean

Same with the android app, i cannot get past totp.
On all my PVE 8 Servers :)

EDIT:
Aaaaaahhhh, the android app works on all my Proxmox servers, must been an update in last month or so, since i tryed last time :)
Awesome :cool:

But that's just an opinion, im not in the right to tell someone what they have todo :)

Cheers :)

How did you get past the TOTP field? I get the same on the Web UI, but I miss the Enter/Submit/OK Button somehow? Pasting or manually entering does not work for me, neither on Chrome nor on Safari...

Have read previous iOS posts, but would very much like to help to move through this barrier. Unfortunately Google products are disallowed in some organizations at this point due to their long pattern of bad behavior in various regards and setting long stand precedents herein. I suppose this opens an opportunity for other mobile apps like ProxMobo.app and such, but it would be nice to have an official app vs relying on third parties.

I am using version 1.7.2 of the app, but I cannot add a Proxmox Baclup Server (v. 3.1-2).
On the first step I enter the address and port, but when I have to set the user and password and confirm the data entered, I get the following error:

Code:
"Could not establish connection: FormatException: Unexpected character (at character 1)
parameter verification failed - 'new-format': schema does not allow additio..."

The app is unable to connect to a PBS?

"noVNC Console" Open console view requires trusted SSL certificates.
Apparently this is a limitation of the Android app, but not a present in the browser interface.
Why?
For example accessing a PVE node inside a private network via VPN or in a testing/demo/learning environment, where the node itself does not have internet connection (except when temporarily granted for let's say updates) would require quite a few kludges and complications to make it use an actual internet wide trusted certificate.

IMO the app should not have the "validate trusted certificate" ON/OFF setting, but rather upon connection it should pop up a screen with untrusted certificate, reason for being untrusted, UI to view certificate details such as name, issuer, validity, etc, and UI to allow temporarily, allow and remember choice, deny connection.
All these are usual in browsers and work well.

Assuming a MitM attack, there are already enough controls exposed to cause serious misfunction and/or DoS.

Please add detailed certificate verification for the end user, if approved by the user, allow noVNC.

Thank you.

Reactions: Taomyn
"noVNC Console" Open console view requires trusted SSL certificates.
Apparently this is a limitation of the Android app, but not a present in the browser interface.
Why?
For example accessing a PVE node inside a private network via VPN or in a testing/demo/learning environment, where the node itself does not have internet connection (except when temporarily granted for let's say updates) would require quite a few kludges and complications to make it use an actual internet wide trusted certificate.

IMO the app should not have the "validate trusted certificate" ON/OFF setting, but rather upon connection it should pop up a screen with untrusted certificate, reason for being untrusted, UI to view certificate details such as name, issuer, validity, etc, and UI to allow temporarily, allow and remember choice, deny connection.
All these are usual in browsers and work well.

Assuming a MitM attack, there are already enough controls exposed to cause serious misfunction and/or DoS.

Please add detailed certificate verification for the end user, if approved by the user, allow noVNC.

Thank you.
sadly it's a limitation of the underlying framework (flutter), see here: https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/36925 https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/118286

sadly it's a limitation of the underlying framework (flutter), see here: https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/36925 https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/118286
Understood.

Might I suggest either Proxmox developers requesting fixes from flutter developers. (maybe a request from a an organization such as Proxmox might carry more weight then that of a simple user)

Or if refused, considering an alternate framework?

The nature of Proxmox is such that the use self-signed certificates can be significant, especially for nodes not exposed with public IP for admin interface.

Thank you.

Reactions: Taomyn
We have just released the new Proxmox Virtual Environment mobile app, designed for use on Android devices (smartphones and tablets). The app allows you to log in to your Proxmox VE server from your phone or tablet and manage virtual machines, containers, hosts, and clusters on the go. It is based on the cutting edge Flutter framework, which enables us to provide a sleek interface, in addition to a blazing fast experience.

The Proxmox VE mobile client is meant as a helpful companion for administrators.

Key Features
  • Overview dashboard of the Proxmox VE cluster or node, including status and resource usage
  • Login manager to connect to different Proxmox clusters or nodes
  • Search and filter functionality for guests, storage, and nodes
  • Overview of users, API tokens, groups, roles and domains
  • Control VM/container power state (Start, Stop, Reboot, etc.)
  • RRD diagrams for nodes and guests
  • Migration of guests (online or offline) between cluster nodes
  • Back up data to different storages, including Proxmox Backup Server
  • Storage view to search and access content
  • Task history and current task overview
  • and more...
You can download the Proxmox Virtual Environment app from the Google Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.proxmox.app.pve_flutter_frontend

Martin Maurer
Ok so i havent had a chance to try this out just yet but how does it connect to the clusters? is this an SDN setup or do I need to port forward every single node? If the latter, it may be worth setting up some kind of SDN Relay that we can opt into or pay for because I'm not a huge fan of opening my hypervisors up to the whole world even with obscure ports, and the mobile app isnt all that useful if im sitting in my office where I can check and configure from the browser. Modern port scanners don't need to know a port they just test them all so security though obscurity isnt a thing in modern days. Having an SDN in place is better in this regard if implemented properly and could be expanded to an SDN management portal that allows you to see all of your clusters even collocated in a single interface. Something like what Meraki/Unifi/Airmax/Aruba Central/Netgear Insight offers for their switching and routing hardware. Easier setup for users, if they want to opt in/pay for that luxury, and many admins in a commercial environment would be up for that to simplify remote servicing operations especially if you were to add in account security protocols like 2fa for a centralised account that the cluster nodes auth system doesn't account for

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!