New install of 5.3

digitalbots

Dec 7, 2018
THE PROBLEM:
I'm not able to:
  1. Display the Admin-GUI via HTTPS <my-ip>:8006. (I get a "took too long to respond" message on my Chrome, Firefox, and IExplorer).
  2. I can not ping this box from any machine
  3. I can not ping out from this Proxmox server

That says, there is an Internet connection available that the server is able to use for updating and installing packs.

Current network topography:
  • My router is a Motorola (not sure model)
  • My proxmox is connected via ethernet (wired) to my private network (dd-wrt router)
  • My Laptop that has Proxmox is wired connected to my private
  • All of my PCs are in the same subnet: 192.168.1.x/24: (laptop = 192.168.1.22), and all machines on my network are on the following rang 192.168.1.100-255
Code:
/etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eno1 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static (also tried with dhcp with no improvement)
address 192.168.1.22
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

Code:
/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.22 proxmox.levyhome.local

Code:
/etc/hostname
PROXMOX

This is my first time installing proxmox. I 'm very excited about this experience, but it is being hard to start working with this. I haven't created my first VM yet! :(

Please, guys. I've seen a lot of posts with a similar topic (not only in this forum) and none of the cases I've studied matches with my current situation.

I hope I can get your help on this matter to find a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
i think your problem is here :

Code:
/etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eno1 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static (also tried with dhcp with no improvement)
address 192.168.1.22
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

you have the network interface ( en01 ), the bridge ( vmbr0) but the network interface isn't in the bridge configuration

you shoulfdhave something like that

Code:
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.1.101
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.1.254
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

i think your problem is here :

Code:
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.1.101
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.1.254
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

so in reinstalled the OS on my laptop this time unplugging the wifi to make sure I didnt select the wrong interface. Did the updates like you said which are below. Still no connection.

/etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface ens5f5 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.22
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports ens5f5
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Ok, i booted to a Ubuntu live CD and my nic does work. So this looks like it could be a driver issue with Promox. any input would be helpful to get this up and running

PVE 5.x uses (a slightly patched) Ubuntu bionic kernel - so unless your laptop has a NIC, which is only supported in cosmic and newer, that probably is not the issue.

* Check the output of:
`ip link` (LOWER_UP in a line next to an interface indicates that the NIC has a link and is connected)
`ip addr`
`dmesg` (if there are issues with the nic/driver it probably would write into dmesg)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!