New GUI

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
I like the logical approach that the new GUI offers. (I liked the old, but this is good too)

I am having a problem and could use some guidance on V2.0.

I want to create a KVM, to boot a Linux ISO or CD into it. I am running into 2 problems trying to boot either. To be clear, when I comment "Proxmox host", I mean the physically booted Proxmox. When I comment "Virtual PC" (VPC), I mean the one that was created via the GUI to operate the guest.
  1. I want to creaet 2 HDDs for the Linux VM to use. (I intend to use 1 for storage and the other for its SWAP). Cannot see how to do this.
  2. I cannot seem to get the Virtual PC to "Start" even though I have it set for "Installation" via CD? So, since this may not be working at this time, can I store a ISO file in the Proxmox host filesystem so that the VPC can boot from it. And, where on the Proxmox host filesystem's folder should it be placed. /tmp ??? or somewhere else?
The Linux that I want to boot in the VPC is either Knoppix or Puppy. The VPC boot order is CD, IDE, network...in that order. When started, the CDdrive flash for a moment and stops no matter what bootable CD I put in the drive (these CDs boot a PC natively, so I know they are proper).

Thanks in advance for any advice or steering to a V2.0 document which may contain this info.
VPC Hardware.pngVPC shows "Stopped" after Start.pngError gotten after stop, then shutdown on Console screen.png

Last edited:
I like the logical approach that the new GUI offers. (I liked the old, but this is good too)

I am having a problem and could use some guidance on V2.0.

I want to create a KVM, to boot a Linux ISO or CD into it. I am running into 2 problems trying to boot either. To be clear, when I comment "Proxmox host", I mean the physically booted Proxmox. When I comment "Virtual PC" (VPC), I mean the one that was created via the GUI to operate the guest.
  1. I want to creaet 2 HDDs for the Linux VM to use. (I intend to use 1 for storage and the other for its SWAP). Cannot see how to do this.
just use the wizard, create the first hdd. then add the second one via the "Hardware" tab.
  1. I cannot seem to get the Virtual PC to "Start" even though I have it set for "Installation" via CD? So, since this may not be working at this time, can I store a ISO file in the Proxmox host filesystem so that the VPC can boot from it. And, where on the Proxmox host filesystem's folder should it be placed. /tmp ??? or somewhere else?
booting a physical cd/dvd works here. you can also use ISO files, just go to your storage (e.g. local) and click the "content" tab, here is a upload button.

The Linux that I want to boot in the VPC is either Knoppix or Puppy. The VPC boot order is CD, IDE, network...in that order. When started, the CDdrive flash for a moment and stops no matter what bootable CD I put in the drive (these CDs boot a PC natively, so I know they are proper).

Thanks in advance for any advice or steering to a V2.0 document which may contain this info.
View attachment 641View attachment 642View attachment 643

which desktop/browser/java plugin do you run? also post the output of 'pveversion -v'

1. just use the wizard, create the first hdd. then add the second one via the "Hardware" tab.
    Worked.
  2. booting a physical cd/dvd works here. you can also use ISO files, just go to your storage (e.g. local) and click the "content" tab, here is a upload button.
    Worked also
  3. which desktop/browser/java plugin do you run? also post the output of 'pveversion -v'
    Posted version info here
  4. Image of results for I/O content(s) ===> Added 2nd HDD and ISOs.png
Thanks @Tom for your guidance.

Last edited:
qemu-server: 2.0-3 is outdated, upgrade!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!