networking

mir

Famous Member
Apr 14, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Will proxmox automatically make a venet for every nic?

Suppose we have a pve with two nic's, eth0 and eth1, will a venet0 connected to eth0 and a venet1 connected to eth1 be configured automatically?

Here is the KVM recommended way: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking#private_virtual_bridge and is done with bridges.

I think Virtual Distributed Ethernet http://vde.sourceforge.net/ is another way but it is not the default with KVM. KVM does not use a software switch or crossbar like Xen or VMWare... well, that's not entirely true. One can use Open vSwitch which has been included with the bleeding edge Linux 3.3 kernel, but it is incompatible with with OpenVZ (which is a custome kernel) at least right now.

I think he is making changes from the command line and then making changes in the GUI. Without looking at what the GUI does, I am betting that the GUI is not aware of the changes made at the CLI level (at least not without a reboot or restart of networking) and the GUI is operating with a local or cached copy of the settings thus overwriting the changes from the CLI. That's my guess, anyways. Dietmar, does that sound possible?

That's my guess, anyways. Dietmar, does that sound possible?

Maybe. The PVE GUI write everything to /etc/network/interfaces.new. At reboot we copy that file to /etc/network/interfaces, but only if that file is older.

The important questions here are: How often, and when does the PVE GUI read /etc/network/interfaces? For simple checking the gui could make a hash of the file and then check against this hash - any change reread the file and create a new hash.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!