Networking Problems r8168/r8169 headers missing without internet connection

evase

Jan 14, 2024
Hello guys,

4 days ago i moved my proxmox server from my office (plugged into switch) into the basement (plugged direclty into the fritzbox) and since then I had networking issues, the server not beeing reachable after some hours.
I read into the matter and found out it seemed like an issue with the r8168/r8169 driver which also seemed to be "easy" to fix... so i followed a quick tutorial and after installing r8168 and blacklisting r8169 i noticed i forgot to install "proxmox-default-headers" and then after the reboot I was left basically without any network connection because the NIC seems not to be there for the OS.

Now i´m stuck without any working driver, seemes like without header, which i still not quite know what that is and I feel really stuck. I tried downloading different versions of headers, r8168 driver and installing them per dpkg -i from an usb stick (moved them onto the server ofc) but still nothing working and now I dont really know how to do anything.

Please help me, since I have a truenas on this server with data I really would like to keep. (nothing life threatening but still)
Please provide me with info, how I can give you guys more info on my system so you can help me.

the kernel version using "uname -a" is: 6.2.16-3-pve

sorry for spelling errors, english is not my first language.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!