Networking "Link_config FAILED -16", Can't ping anything. No MAC Address

typeronin

Feb 27, 2019
Hello Proxmox Team,

My server just stopped connecting to the network today for some reason. No restarts or anything until I discovered it wasn't connected and thought a reboot would do it.

I can't ping my gateway, any other computer on the network or anything outside. Status lights on the ports and switch ports are lit up.

I use both 10GbE ports on my Gigabyte 7PESH2. One goes to the network and one is a direct 10GbE connection with my desktop.

"systemctl status network" shows the service as active (exited) with waiting for vmbr0 and vmbr1 to get ready.

"systemctl restart network" gives an error "Link_config FAILED -16"

"journalctl -xe" shows an additional error of "Could not generate persistent MAC address for enmpf01"

Help...

Last edited:
hi,

can you post:
Code:
pveversion -v
cat /etc/network/interfaces
ethtool -i ${INTERFACE}
ip link show

Good morning, oguz

Sorry I have to do it this way. Local access only since network is down.

pveversion -v
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 8.52.12 AM.jpeg

cat /etc/network/interfaces

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 8.52.12 AM (1).jpeg

ethtools -i $(INTERFACE) returns "command not found"

ip link show

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 8.52.11 AM.jpeg

And again. Anyone?

Please stop posts without any further information. This will just lead to longer answering times and wasted times for others reading it. This will not speed up anything, instead the opposite is true.

the enp interfaces aren't up. what happens when you try to manually get them up, like ip link set enp4s0f0 up or similar?

do you see any errors in dmesg?

ethtool -i ${INTERFACE}
i've meant like ethtool -i enp4s0f0 (for example) but it seems like ethtool isn't installed, and you have no network connection to install it either.

interfaces file looks okay..

what were you doing before the problem started happening? did you change anything on the server recently?

what about in /var/log/syslog ? can you go back to the logs and find the time when it started happening? that could reveal the cause.

I had the same problem and I found the solution in this forum. If my memory does not fail you need to delete or rename the file /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link. I have proxmox 5.3. Not sure if the same bug applies to you. Once I delete that file the network started correctly. Hoping this solution works for you too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!