network problem on win vm

Stefano Giunchi

Renowned Member
Jan 17, 2016
Forlì, Italy
www.soasi.com
I have a cluster with proxmox 4.4.
Three nodes, two IBM x3400 and a small PC. The two IBM host ceph data, the third is only monitor.

I added another server, HP DL380 G7, installed Proxmox 5.2 on it and joined to the cluster (still not ceph).
I will later upgrade the other servers.

I have a problem with some Windows Server VMs, when I migrate them to the new server they start losing pings. A particular VM, with Win2008r2, loses 80% of pings. Linux VMs have no problems.
If I migrate back the VM to IBM, it doesn't lose any ping.

I tried to replace the virtual nic from E1000 to RTL3189.
The node has 2 nics (NetXtreme BCM5709) in bonding. I tried to disconnect one cable to exclude problems with bonding.

Any other suggestion?

Might be related to lower networking layer.
When testing check out ARP table on both sides (maybe also on the switch), as well as capture network traffic.
Capturing network traffic will allow you to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
On Linux use tcpdump, on Windows there is Wireshark, I think.

I do not think network drivers will help, but hopefully they will.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!