Network is unreachable after installation. unable to access the web GUI

admiralnimitz

Mar 3, 2023
Hi everyone, quite exhausted at this point. I have a 2018 Macbook pro laying around collecting dust. And no one will buy it from me, considering what a crappy machine it is by today's standard. It has 32GB RAM, a radeon Graphics card and a 2.9 gigahertz processor.
I figure this would be a great candidate for virtualization host, but so far nothing has installed successfully in this machine apart from proxmox. However, since the intallation completed I have not been able to access the GUI using the Ip displayed on the screen. what I check the /etc/network/interfaces everything looks quite normal. the NIC card state says UP which leaves me confused, Please help me get this up up and running as it should, I know mac hardware is not officially supported, but I am hoping for some miracle to get this guy working, The file at /etc/network/interfaces has the following configuration:
Code:
auto 10
Iface 1o inet 1oopback
iface enx00e04c684371 inet manual
auto vmbro
Iface umbro inet static
address 192.168.1.115/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports enx00e04c684371
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd o
Iface enxaocec8e3e039 Inet manual

And when I do ip addr i get:
Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK, UP ,LOWER_UP› mtu 65536 qdisc naqueue state UNKNOHN group default qien 1000
Hink/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host 10
valid_Ift forever preferred_Ift forever
inet6 #*1/128 scope host
2: enx00e04c684371: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_up>mtu1500qdiscpfifo_faststateUPgroupdefaultqien1000
Link/ether 00:e0:4c:68:43:71 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
Inet6 feBo:=2e0:4cff:fe6B:4371/64 scope link

I am also attaching screenshot of both files: Your help is appreciated:

Attachments

• IMG_6429_compressed.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6431_compressed-1.pdf
    570 KB · Views: 9
The live status of your system shows that no vmbr interface exists and no IP is active.
Try "ip addr add 192.168.1.115/24 dev enx00e04c684371" , does "ip a" show an IP now? Can you ping/ssh to it?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/prox
Hi there,
unfortunately, i tried adding the ip address and it still doesn't work. and since this is at runtime it doesn't stick when i reboot. however many times it actually said device not found. But then for some unknown reason, ip addr add worked. But i was still unable to reach the network as it kept saying network unreachable. I have attached the screenshot. What I dont understand is that there are times where ip a will show me the enx00***** device and sometimes the error message says cannot find device. See the second screenshot where Ip a doesn't show the device at all.

Attachments

• IMG_6436_compressed.pdf
    789.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6433_compressed-1.pdf
    961.1 KB · Views: 8
and since this is at runtime it doesn't stick when i reboot
The point of adding an IP address at runtime when the interface is present and is marked UP, was to exclude configuration file errors.
You screenshot that shows the interface present and IP'ed, also shows that the interface link is DOWN. As expected the pings will not work under such conditions.
however many times it actually said device not found.
It appears you have few things happening at the same time. Much of the evidence points to a faulty/flaky/incompatible hardware.
The fact that your system randomly boots with/without the network card is not a good sign.

My suggestion is to get an ISO of vanilla Debian install and try that. Ensure that your hardware functions properly and then you can follow this guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

If you run into issues with your Macbook and Debian ( where one of many guides on the net cant help) I would try /r/techsupport.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Max Carrara
it looks strange for me, i expect vmbr0 but in your config ist vmbro and iface umbro.
I think Op attempted to retype the config from the screen given the absence of the connectivity. There are few other odd things in that retyped config, such as capitalization and 1 instead of an l in "lo0". I wouldn't put much weight on that for troubleshooting.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

The live status of your system shows that no vmbr interface exists and no IP is active.
Try "ip addr add 192.168.1.115/24 dev enx00e04c684371" , does "ip a" show an IP now? Can you ping/ssh to it?

Your my flipping hero mate! I've been scouring these phone posts and tried everything and that did the trick for me! Only change was my network adapter is eno1. But my server has been running for a year no problems but I recently shut it down and removed a GPU and a USB wifi adapter and that must have thrown off something since then network stopped working after that. But anyways thank you I was just about to do a wipe and re install glad I don't have too!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!