Network interfaces been created after changing PCIE devices

Bestbeast

Jul 29, 2016
Hello,

I just placed a new GPU on a new PCIE slot and I had the issue of not being able to log into my control panel. After digning out I saw that a new interface with a different name of the original one was being created.
At the beginning I had enp6s0, but after adding the GPU, proxmox automatically created enp10s0. Any idea on why this happened? And how to avoid proxmox creating and deleting interfaces?
For me it's a big issue, since I can only access proxmox via the web interface. I have blacklisted the drivers of the GPU to pass it through to my VMs.

Kind regards

I made another change in PCIE and now the interface is called enp5s0 :oops:
I do not know why is that happening. However I have a ethernet 10gbps pcie card, and that one at least is not changing of interface name, have 0 clue on why the motherboard one changes all times.

Reactions: majorgear
Hi,

This has to do with how the Linux kernel names the network interfaces. [0]

If you change your PCI configuration, the PCI devices might get new addresses and therefore other names from the kernel. As this is predictable, restoring your original PCI configuration should give you your old names back.

[0] https://access.redhat.com/documenta...ce-naming_configuring-and-managing-networking
Hello,

Yes, this is predictable and restoring the before config should work. However if I need to plug a new device on a PCIE slot, and I have no GPU console since it is passthroughed to a VM. How am I able to reconfigure the ethernet interface so that I can connect to the Web UI?
Is there any proxmox boot safe I can access with the gpu to be not passthrouged so that I can configure correctly the new ethernet interface?
Or what would be the way to do it, in this situation?

Kind regards

Reactions: majorgear
I'm surprised that this issue hasn't been solved yet. I'm planning on adding a GPU to one of my Proxmox servers but I'm holding off as it is a headless server. So, if the NICs on my PCI NIC get renamed , disabling network access, I won't be able to fix it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!