Network Interface naming problem on boot

Nov 17, 2016
I am putting this here, because issue systemd/udev relaeted - not network.

My PVE version is 4.2-2/725d76f0
I have 4 nodes.
I have 3 network interfaces 2 intel 1gb nics and one 10gb nic.

eth0 is management and member of vmbr0 , eth1 - ceph network, eth2 not connected.

Randomly on boot on one of nodes eth1 and eth2 can be swapped on boot. So ceph cannot see OSDs of one of the nodes. After reboot things may come to normal. May not - one more reeboot required.

Since debian is using systemd and 70-persistant-net.rules is missing, while there many different howtos in net - I just don't know what used in proxmox ofthis version.
Which file and where must be to set interface names to nic(MAC adress) ?

Thank you !

Yep, got this same issue from new install.

Edit /lib/systemd/system/udev-finish.service

and add

basic.target

so should look like this

After=basic.target systemd-udevd.service systemd-udev-settle.service

You will see /var/log/syslog messages like this

/lib/udev/udev-finish: 6: /lib/udev/udev-finish: cannot create /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules: Read-only file system

Needs to be fixed upstream.

I am putting this here, because issue systemd/udev relaeted - not network.

My PVE version is 4.2-2/725d76f0
I have 4 nodes.
I have 3 network interfaces 2 intel 1gb nics and one 10gb nic.

eth0 is management and member of vmbr0 , eth1 - ceph network, eth2 not connected.

Randomly on boot on one of nodes eth1 and eth2 can be swapped on boot. So ceph cannot see OSDs of one of the nodes. After reboot things may come to normal. May not - one more reeboot required.

Since debian is using systemd and 70-persistant-net.rules is missing, while there many different howtos in net - I just don't know what used in proxmox ofthis version.
Which file and where must be to set interface names to nic(MAC adress) ?

Thank you !

Yep correct, but the above fix will allow the nic devices to automatically be added to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Hi,
but if you create 70-persistant-net.rules with the right content it should work.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!