Network External and Internal IP to CT

Unknown2k

Jan 28, 2016
All,
I have a Debian CT deployed in Proxmox.

I have an external address assigned to eth0 (bridged) inside the CT. It connects to the internet, and I can SSH into the external address.

I have eth1 connected to a local switch with other physical servers on an internal network. I want to also assign the CT an internal address, so that it can communicate with those physical servers locally.

I did this awhile ago, but it is escaping me now. How do I assign both an external and an internal address to a CT?

The GUI currently only does 1 address per interface, so you either add a second network interface to the container or configure the IPs manually inside the container.

I understand.
I have 2 physical NICs.

NIC1 (eth0), WAN/Internet working OK with External Internet address.
NIC2 (eth1) is physically connected to a local switch where a few other servers sit. I want to configure the eth1 to access my local network on that NIC2, via local address (192.168.1.x)

Do I need to create a bridge (vmbr1) link it to ETH1 (physical NIC2) and then configure the interface within the Container?

I appreciate your responses.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!