[SOLVED] network configuration recommendation

Nov 10, 2020
We are currently testing Proxmox as a replacement for our Esxi farm (No license) where we have 20+ servers. Currently our Esxi hosts have 1 bond (2x1Gib) and 2x1Gib thats multipath iscsi (2 paths each) to our Storage. Bond has VLan tagging and all vms connect to this "bridge". I'm wondering the best way to do the same in Proxmox and currently I have this:

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr0.20
iface vmbr0.20 inet static
address [IP]/24
gateway [IP]

auto vmbr0.310
iface vmbr0.310 inet static
address [IP]/24
vlan-id 310

This works nicely where vlan 20 is for Proxmox nodes and 310 is one of the iscsi paths. (there are 3 more)

Questions:
should have another bridge for the iscsi paths?
- one bride per iscsi interface like vmware or just bond the iscsi interfaces?
or add all 4 interfaces to bond0 with all vlans?

I have not started with clustering yet so not sure if that does something different with networking.

I will answer my own question I guess... What I decided to do was to create 2 more bridges with each of the bridges having 1 nic AND 2 vlans each

bridge1 -> nic3 -> vlan 1/2 (SAN)
bridge2 -> nic4 -> vlan 1/2 (SAN)

This way I can set the MTU to something higher for the Storage nics/bridges/vlans and then have 1 bond of nics 1/2 for vm traffic.

Now the next project is to get multipath working...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!