Network Bridge - Hetzner - Cant get it to work

No1IrishStig

Sep 11, 2020
Hi, I have been trying so many different things online. And I cannot get this to work. I want my VM's to have seperate IP's from the host through the bridge. But it isnt working.

Host IP: 138.201.142.159
Secondary IP: 138.201.142.151
Gateway: 138.201.142.129
Netmask: 255.255.255.192
Broadcast: 138.201.142.191

n0ioi.png

This is how it looks on the Network tab on Proxmox. Here is my etc/network/interfaces file for the host:

djk2e.png

-----------------

On the VM, I was able to capture this as it flew by, im not sure which log file it is in to get the full thing.

j440x.png

For the /etc/network/interfaces file on the guest I have this configuration as guided by Hetzners own docs:

zj9kq.png

I am able to ping the host, and ping the guest from the host and get a response. However I cannot contact any outside servers with the guest.

Running `sudo apt-get update` responds with this:

6w6t1.png

I cant ping any servers outside, besides the host.

Please help! I am quite a newbie when it comes to networking and making bridges and stuff. So I might need a big extra explaination than your average joe. Thanks in advance!

hi,

if your VM is just test, can you try the following instructions?

- edit file resolv.conf in Ubuntu VM, and put the nameserver for hetzner:
nameserver 213.133.100.100
nameserver 213.133.98.98
nameserver 213.133.99.99

then change attributes for resolv.conf file with command:
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
then reboot your VM, && ping -c 3 google.com,

if that not works

- try to edit /etc/network/interfaces in your Ubuntu VM and just add this lines after under gateway 138.201.142.129

Code:
dns-nameservers 213.133.100.100
dns-nameservers 213.133.98.98
dns-nameservers 213.133.98.99

Hopefully that help :)

hi,

if your VM is just test, can you try the following instructions?

- edit file resolv.conf in Ubuntu VM, and put the nameserver for hetzner:

then change attributes for resolv.conf file with command:
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
then reboot your VM, && ping -c 3 google.com,

if that not works

- try to edit /etc/network/interfaces in your Ubuntu VM and just add this lines after under gateway 138.201.142.129

Code:
dns-nameservers 213.133.100.100
dns-nameservers 213.133.98.98
dns-nameservers 213.133.98.99

Hopefully that help :)
Hi, firstly adding the name servers to the resolv file gave this:

rg05f.png

The second thing, I added it to the network interface below gateway, and it doesnt change anything:

5hv2s.png

:(

I managed to get the VPS's working by adding a bridge port. But I've ran into a new issue.

After a period of time the hosts IP becomes unresponsive, after the host has not even been doing anything besides running 2 - 3 virtual machines. All of the VM's still have internet access and can be used, however the Host cannot. Anyone ever had this issue? Its very frustrating because each time I want to use the host I have to login through a guest then ssh into the host, then restart the networking service. Once the service has been restarted I can ssh into the host again, but then all the VM's die. Its a vicious loop. Please help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!