netstat

tog

Jun 5, 2008
On my Proxmox VE box, netstat on the "host" Debian 4.0 system doesn't seem to be working, it just sits there... even when I use netstat -n -l or netstat -n -a. Anybody else seeing this?

Code:
proxmox:~# netstat
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
(and hangs there forever)

Top shows that netstat is spinning, taking 100% CPU.

It loops the same thing endlessly as fast as it can, though the "0x..." address is different each time I try to run netstat:
Code:
read(3, 0x2b57e6127000, 1024)           = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
The system is a dual-socket with two quad-core Xeon L5410s in it, 4GB of RAM and the motherboard has two on-board e1000's, only one of which is being used.

This is so far a plain vanilla installation of Proxmox VE 0.9, I haven't really messed with anything except to create, run and destroy a few Qemu/KVM and OpenVZ VMs.

Does it work after a reboot - or is the problem persistent?

Does it work after a fresh install - maybe you can test?

- Dietmar

I just restarted (was waiting for a 12GB .vmdk to finish transferring...) and netstat is working again...

I started my test Vista in a KVM and stopped it and netstat is still working...

That's just weird, one shouldn't have to reboot Linux.

Is the upcoming Proxmox 1.0 release going to use 2.6.25.4? I'm a little nervous about using KVM for anything in production because of stuff like this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg15009.html

I'd try out 2.6.25.4 myself but I don't know what all you guys built into the Proxmox VE kernel.

Nice, thank you very much for pointing that out. You even wrote a nice README in there, you are so thoughtful!

I'm not necessarily asking for any help with the following, it is mostly informational.

I have been having some odd issues with a Win2k Server guest BSOD'ing whenever it goes to use its NIC for the first time (which means instant BSOD before the ctrl-alt-del bit) no matter what NIC type I use. Virtio just causes an instant guest hang when I try to load the driver under Windows and no particular NIC driver has been doing any better, including a proper realtek 8139 WHQL driver from 2/25/08, so I need to do some messing around with the Linux host.

The Win2k Server guest works once after a fresh reboot of the Linux host machine, but if I restart the Win2k guest or even force a full stop/start of the Win2k guest it just BSOD's in a loop so I obviously cannot consider shutting off the real Win2k server and replacing it with a Qemu/KVM guest yet.

It's fine and happy whenever I boot Win2k in safe mode or with the NIC driver disabled... and my fresh WinXP install in a guest also seems not to have any such issues.

I see what you mean about using 2.6.24 and then using 2.6.26 later when available... I can't really update to 2.6.25 or 2.6.26, there's no OpenVZ patch set yet.

I am still using the version of 2.4.24 that came with Proxmox.

Proxmox VE 0.9 Release Notes said:
update to latest openvz kernel (v2.6.24-ovz004)

I did finally get the Win2k Server KVM to work and it has been running for 24 hours. Basically I messed around a lot but the most significant was that I used an e1000 and fed the guest Intel's latest driver.

I also changed from an ACPI Multiprocessor HAL to an ACPI Uniprocessor HAL in the Win2k guest which caused it to idle nicely rather than chewing up a constant 100% CPU.

It is not entirely clear, but it seems like CPT may actually be fixed in 2.6.24-ovz005.

I just read something where somebody couldn't CPT on 2.6.24-ovz004 and they updated to 2.6.24-ovz005 and it worked.

There have apparently been numerous fixes for KVM after 2.6.24, but my Win2k server guest is happy now so I'm in no hurry. I've also never had a single hint of anything odd happen with WinXP 32-bit and Vista x64 testing guests, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. I could reboot them and turn them off and on all day and never any issue like I was having with the Win2k guest. Virtio has never worked; It always instantly hangs the guest, but oh well. e1000 or rtl8139 work.

On my Proxmox VE box, netstat on the "host" Debian 4.0 system doesn't seem to be working, [...]

I had this too some months ago (not on Proxmox, but on another OpenVZ kernel), the problem was clearly somewhere in the kernel, since a 'cat /proc/net/tcp' had the same result. (try it when it happens next time...)
I couldn't however reproduce it after an update to 2.6.24 with ovz004, and I didn't see it on proxmox (yet).

Best Regards,
Felix

I recently had it happen to me again. It actually went away after stopping and starting my one OpenVZ container... netstat on the host system immediately started working again. There's something amiss there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!