Nested VMware Worksation suuper slow!

Nov 16, 2022
Sweden
Hi,

I finally feel confident with my PVE setup. Backups are working fine with PBS over NFS, and all VMs are migrated from VMware ESXi since a few weeks back. In my previous setup with ESXi I ran a Windows 10 Pro VM with both Hyper-V and VMware Worksation nested. It worked great, and performance was super. It's not as good on PVE, but still acceptable.

One thing that's not acceptable though is the speed of VMware Workstation when running nested Ubuntu guests. I started one guest like 2 hours ago, and it's still digging through the kernel boot. The whole process goes like this: https://cloud.danielhansson.nu/s/3aZey6KTesca2CH

Can I do something about it? I mean I tried tweaking it as much as I can from documentation, but it's still slow. Any advice?

And VMWare workstation is seeing that HW virtualization is possible and is using it? Such a slow running VMs looks a lot like it being fully emulated and not using any HW virtualization features.

I'm not sure I follow...?

The setup is like this:
1670590651697.png

On that VM I run both Hyper-V and VMware workstation (17). Hyper-V is fine, but VMware is suuper slow as seen in the video. How would I make VMware HW aware? To my knowledge it's not emulated.

Thanks for helping out!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!