Nested virtualization on Windows 10 VMware

Mandalorian

Dec 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm trying to create my own Windows VDI on Proxmox.
I want to install Wmware 15.5.0 on it to virtualize some VMs.

You are going to ask me why not to virtualize directly with proxmox ... Simply that I get .vmdk files and the procedure to convert a .vmdk file to proxmox seems complicated to me.

root@pve:~# pveversion
pve-manager/6.1-3/37248ce6 (running kernel: 5.3.10-1-pve)

This is how i did it:

1 - I follow https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization and it return the good result :

root@proxmox:~# cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y

2 - I disabled Hyper-V on windows

3 - Here my VM config

bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.171.iso,media=cdrom,size=363020K
machine: pc-i440fx-2.11
memory: 4096
name: windows10
net0: virtio=E6:93:4B:43:59:44,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-200-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=100G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=59536382-36ee-42be-904c-a956b0740bf5
sockets: 1
vga: virtio
vmgenid: 38d0d4e9-0f1f-4ba2-97d5-b811aa4a9035

And when I lunch VM in Vmware on my Windows VM I have this error :

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation.
Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

Is there a solution to do that ??

Thank :)

You are going to ask me why not to virtualize directly with proxmox ... Simply that I get .vmdk files and the procedure to convert a .vmdk file to proxmox seems complicated to me.

Proxmox VE can just use .vmdk disks, you can even select it for new disks...

Thank you for your answer :)

You say that Proxmox natively supports the.vmdk?

I tried two methods :

qm importdisk 100 disk001.vmdk local-lvm - qcow2 format"
and
dd if=disk001.vmdk of=/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-1

It doesn't work. Is it the right approach? Maybe my .vmdk files are corrupted because the VM start but after 5 minutes the CLI interface was redirected to <initramfs>.

However, this is the approach described here -> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Virtual-to-Virtual_.28V2V.29

The final goal is to create a Cybersecurity laboratory and for that I have to set up "mestasploitable" VMs (.vmdk files)

Thank you for your indulgence, , I am a beginner with Proxmox and I have not yet assimilated all the concepts.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer :)

You say that Proxmox natively supports the.vmdk?

I tried two methods :

qm importdisk 100 disk001.vmdk local-lvm - qcow2 format"
and
dd if=disk001.vmdk of=/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-1

It doesn't work. Is it the right approach? Maybe my .vmdk files are corrupted because the VM start but after 5 minutes the CLI interface was redirected to <initramfs>.

However, this is the approach described here -> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Virtual-to-Virtual_.28V2V.29

The final goal is to create a Cybersecurity laboratory and for that I have to set up "mestasploitable" VMs (.vmdk files)

Thank you for your indulgence, , I am a beginner with Proxmox and I have not yet assimilated all the concepts.
If find the solution...

Juste use -> qemu-img convert -f vmdk Metasploitable2.vmdk -O qcow2 Mestasploitable2.qcow2

And edit <vmid>.conf like follow :

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: metasploitable
net0: virtio=2A:20:8A:0D:E9:8D,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
sockets: 1
ide0: file=local:101/Metasploitable2.qcow2,size=8G

Thanks for all ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!