dominix

Jan 10, 2012
GMT -10
hi there,
thanks for the good jobs done in 2.0

For my own purpose I need to setup VM with exotic OS like QNX or other oldies,
and for that I'm used to select different network card model using :
kvm -net nic,model=?​
qemu: Supported NIC models: ne2k_pci,i82551,i82557b,i82559er,rtl8139,e1000,pcnet,virtio​
but at this time I can only choose from virtio,e1000,rtl8139

is there any trick, to select another model ?
thank for your pointer or advice.

Dominix

I have tryed hacking arround "/usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/pvemanagerlib.js" @ line 3292
me.data = [ ['rtl8139', 'Realtec RTL8139'],
['e1000', 'Intel E1000'],
['ne2k_pci', 'NE2000'],
['pcnet', 'PCNET'],
['virtio', 'VirtIO (paravirtualized)']
];

I am not a fluent javascript developper but it's seems to "work for me"

if you request a feature you need to tell why.

It look obvious to me : the OS I use have no drivers for Realtec nor intel e1000 nor virtio. (exotic one's as I said) otherwise why would I ask this ?
Furthermore provided qemu/kvm fully support others network card, so why not propose it throught proxmox ... it just a presentaion pattern.
it could be interresting to propose what the system can support... .Like : ask the system $( kvm -net nic,model=? ) and propose the supported card.

This way proxmox will have the widest possible cover.

Last edited:
I choose to use Proxmox over everything else because of lack of choices.

Take open stack for example, they support Xen, KVM and Virtualbox.
It does not stop there, you then have a zillion options for storage and networking and on and on.
What you end up with is a bloated very complex system and I much prefer simplicity.

Sometimes the simplicity of Proxmox causes issues for those with more complex needs.

I like your idea of having the interface present the capabilities that KVM supports.
It would be even better for it to show the limited list by default and then allow you to set some option to enable the full list.

This way we have the best of both worlds.
You get the option you need, I do not need to sift through a huge list of options I will never use and noobs will not select sucky options causing problems.

pls give details about your needs - what is an exotic OS?

hi tom; an exotic OS is for exemple QNX4;
I got win98, Win2000, WINNT4, QNX6, QNX4, some embeded proprietary kernel that run without TCPIP but over Ethernet. to make CRC, file signature or validation. I maintain old applications for organisation that have the requirement (legaly) to provide tracability over decade. So when the hardware is to old it is a very good alternative to virtualise these appli. Sometime the company that have made these software have disappeared, and I got no support, so I manage by myself to make these app still survive some couple of years.

So my needs are simple, I want to use others network card than just RTL8139, E1000 and virtio which are no supported on plenty of my VM, but are supported on kvm/Qemu (like PCNET or NE2000). So there is not big change to do, just adapt the proposed network card when creating a new VM to what kvm/qemu can do.

best regards.

I totaly agree with you, I'm adept of KISS principle.
I am just in the case where it's not enought. I don't care if I have to activate some hiden switch to make some more options appear but I my case I have no other way to go. The Hack I just provided is efficient enought for me to create VM with other NetCard, and as long as I can do this it will please me, but in that case make the information clear for those who need it.

sorry for stupid question, but why do you need another nic? e1000 always is a good choice :)

did you try to set the network model in the VM config file? I do not think it make sense to put all these options on the gui, we try to keep it simple as always. just to note, OS not supporting e1000/rlt or virtio aren´t supported anyways by Proxmox VE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!