Need advice

jonnboy

Mar 6, 2021
Hi guys.

Can anyone help me to figure it out how can I reflect my Original BIOS on my Windows VM Guest ?
Thanks in advanced.
Untitled.jpg

no thats not easily possible, why do you need or want that?

sidenote, it is basically impossible to *completely* hide the fact that you are running a vm. there are so many ways to determine that (e.g. timing side-channels) that it's not realistically possible.

though most applications do not look very deep to determine that so you might trick them

sidenote, it is basically impossible to *completely* hide the fact that you are running a vm. there are so many ways to determine that (e.g. timing side-channels) that it's not realistically possible.

though most applications do not look very deep to determine that so you might trick them
Thank you Sir for your help. Sidenote I went and installed Unraid just to check out if it were posible there and it`s actually very easy , I edited just the KMV XML file and that`s it all my Board and Bios info was there like magic :D.
Now my new question , would be possible to use similar args in the QEMU config file ? too change the bios info I just used the smbios entry followed by mode= sysinfo , soomething like this <smbios mode='sysinfo'/>

ok if its just the smbios info you need, you can edit most options under 'Options -> SMBIOS Settings'
you have to enter it manually though, we do not have an 'auto-populate from host' feature, but you can open a
bugzilla feature request here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

such an option might make sense (best to also include the unraid config change)

Reactions: CezarC
ok if its just the smbios info you need, you can edit most options under 'Options -> SMBIOS Settings'
you have to enter it manually though, we do not have an 'auto-populate from host' feature, but you can open a
bugzilla feature request here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

such an option might make sense (best to also include the unraid config change)
Using this method I can pass the "Manufacturer" entry, however there is no way to add also "Vendor" which is required by one of my guest systems. How to add in in Proxmox?

you can add arbitrary qemu options with the 'args' option in the qemu config

see 'man qemu-system-x86_64' for info about which options you need
and 'man qm.conf' to see the man page for the qemu config

Reactions: CezarC

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!