rootkid

Jul 2, 2010
Hi Everyone!

I'm running Proxmox on a HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server:
Serial Number / Product ID: CZJ713035W / 399519-421
2x dual core xeon 3,2GHz
7 GB RAM
1x HW-Raid-Controller "Smart Array P600"
5x HDD (SAS, 146 GB, 10.000 RPM, Model HP DG146ABAB4, PHY Transfer Rate: 3.0GBPS) forming RAID 1+0 (with spare drive).

It should be able to run about 3 KVM and 5 OpenVZ guests simultaneously without performance problems (not much database activity or i'll give her a seperate disk).
I'm planning to upgrade my hard drives to HP Model 507127-B21 300GB disks but they are really expensive (List price 540.55 USD).
Before buying cheap, old drives i suppose it's better to buy any (new / not-so-old) 3rd-party devices?
Has anybody some information / suggestions / advice which hard drives do a good job (--> performance is most important) for moderate money?
I have 1 free HDD lot so i could also use 6 drives (and maybe change to RAID-5 to get more space for my money).

Best regards,
Heiner

Hi Heiner,
i have good experiences with "HITACHI HUS154545VLS300"-Disks. 4 (or better 6) in raid-10. With an areca raidcontroller i got over 440MB/s with 4 disks and pveperf (read).
If you need huge speed, take 6 disks as raid-10 and use an cold-spare instead. But i don't know the performance of your raidcontroller...

3 kvm and 5 openvz sounds not so much... perhaps you need a littlle bit more ram?

Udo

Hi Heiner,
i have good experiences with "HITACHI HUS154545VLS300"-Disks. 4 (or better 6) in raid-10. With an areca raidcontroller i got over 440MB/s with 4 disks and pveperf (read).
Thanks for sharing! I'll keep them in mind and wait for more suggestions to compare.

If you need huge speed, take 6 disks as raid-10 and use an cold-spare instead. But i don't know the performance of your raidcontroller...
Just to get it right: RAID-0 out of 3 Disks, 2 times, then mirror them (RAID-1), if 1 drive fails i'll have to redesign the Raidset or exchange the faulty device? The system is located in a professional datacenter where i have 8x5 access / technician support...

3 kvm and 5 openvz sounds not so much... perhaps you need a littlle bit more ram?

Udo
You're right, it's really not that much. I have 4 CPU Cores which can do 2 threads each (proxmox tells me in GUI i have 8 Cores). So I plan not to have more than 8 VMs running simultaneously. And i don't want to do much overbooking in RAM (i think an average of 512 - 1024MB is enough for my VMs - i assume they hang around having fun with their idle process most of the time). So HDD I/O is the only thing that i can't really control (besides Network connectivity, but i don't expect so much traffic and have bonding of 2 1GBit interfaces).

Thank you very much for helping! Any other suggestions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!