NAT configuration not working

blcksys

Sep 13, 2019
[EDIT - please move my thread to network section, I opened in wrong one]
------

[EDIT2 - in order to solve it, I had to downgrade to debian 8 and use an outdated version of proxmox 4 chosing NAT option in VM setting]
------

I'm getting crazy trying to get my installation of proxmox to work with NAT.

I followed about 30+ tutorials, including the official wiki, and my settings now looks like that:

/etc/network/interface on host machine:

0990d-6d42ce91-e85c-43c7-83e1-7d864ff0147b.png

running ifconfig on host machine:

0990d-f64ecefc-2298-4bae-8629-743f6695d946.png

ifconfig and ping test on guest vm:

0990d-252d238a-197f-422b-ae29-2ca1b1cd52ab.png

After a thousands of attempts, reinstalls, tweaking and so on, the result are always the same, the network won't work.
The guest machine doesn't connect to the network and it's not getting an internal IP from 10.10.10.x and thus no internet access

What am doing wrong here?

If it's of any use, the server is hosted at hetzner with a single public IP address.
it uses systemd.networkd (apparently all of their images uses that).
OS is debian 10 buster.

Last edited:
your screenshot of the vm does not show any ip... do you have configured any ip from the '10.10.10.0/24' subnet in the vm?

It is a real pity the blcksys never answered since I have the same issue and my server is at hetzner also..I installed proxmox 6.2 using the proxmox ISO....and I can get my first windows 10 VM to work

It is a real pity the blcksys never answered since I have the same issue and my server is at hetzner also..I installed proxmox 6.2 using the proxmox ISO....and I can get my first windows 10 VM to work
Hello,
I never solved the issue, so I given up and passed to using full bridge with subnet

so how does your /etc/network/interface looks now ?
You purchase the subnet from hetzner e create the bridge for it, activate ipv4 forward and proxyarp and that's it
You can do something like this:

Code:
# device: eth0
auto  eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address <IP from subnet]
  netmask <Netmask of subnet>
  gateway <Gateway of subnet>

You have to sacrifice an IP from subnet in order to use it (so if you have a x6 subnet, you'll only can use x5 for VMs), and you have to manually assign them to VMs

Or if you want to use NAT, do like I did, which is: downgrade to debian 8 and use an outdated version of proxmox 4 chosing NAT option in VM setting

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!