[SOLVED] NAT config not working in Proxmox [VM cannot access internet]

proxnoober

Apr 5, 2024
Dear all,

EDIT: RESOLVED FINALLY !!!

I changed the 'vmbr0' to 'eno1' in the NAT configuration. Worked after rebooting the node. Now VM has internet access.

I have a requirement to setup multiple VMs in different isolated networks. Also, these VMs should be able to have internet access. So far I have done the following. I am trying to fix the internet issue. I am running ubuntu server 22.04.4 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish). Proxmox host have internet access.

• created new bridge (vmbr1) for NAT and assigned IP 192.168.100.1/24.
  • Edited the /etc/network/interfaces file in the proxmox server (host).

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-c34fql4ppwsc1.png

Added the vmbr1 as the network bridge to the VM

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-w52pv20wpwsc1.png

IP details of the VM which is connected to vmbr1

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-pd2nl3r1qwsc1.png

/etc/netplan config file

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-rn5uqh80rwsc1.png

However, when I run netplan apply i get the below error. But, when I click enter it accept the changes

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-oydwcllmrwsc1.png

I am not sure why still the VM cannot access internet.

I followed the below resource

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-i0zlhgntrwsc1.png

The only difference is here the eno1 is configured with a public IP and vmbr0 is with a private IP. In my case, vmbr0 was automatically setup in installation. So I created vmbr1 as a new bridge and applied the settings accordingly.

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-5qot7h5dswsc1.png

Finally iptables-save output is as below. Taken from proxmox node (host)

nat-setup-in-proxmox-v0-bw3nx5jcvwsc1.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to figure out the issue. Thank you!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!