[SOLVED] My VM´s cant reach the internet / cant be pinged since i changed the /etc/network/interface file

Marcel15160

Apr 20, 2022
auto ens7f1 iface ens7f1 inet static address 192.168.0.100/8 gateway 192.168.0.1 bridge_ports enp9s0f0 bridge_stp off ethernet-wol g iface enp9s0f1 inet manual iface ens7f0 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbr0 inet manual bridge-ports none bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0

This is how my file looks like. I had to change the network interface because i wanted to enable WOL, and my standard ethernet card didn´t had this feature.

1650442904830.png

This is what my "ip a" output looks like. Any idea what the problem could be?

Your vmbr0 (which is probably the bridge your VM's are connected to) is not connected to any real nic of your server, so your VMs won't have conectivity with the world, although they may have conectivity among them.

Which use does have each nic on your server?

ens7f0
ens7f1
enp9s0f0
enp9s0f1

That /etc/network/interfaces is quite messy I can't find out what is what by myself.

Your vmbr0 (which is probably the bridge your VM's are connected to) is not connected to any real nic of your server, so your VMs won't have conectivity with the world, although they may have conectivity among them.

Which use does have each nic on your server?

ens7f0
ens7f1
enp9s0f0
enp9s0f1

That /etc/network/interfaces is quite messy I can't find out what is what by myself.
I only use the ens7f1 interface. The other three are not pluged in and have no usecase. I just configured ens7f1 by my selfe, the bridge and the other interfaces were created by proxmox

Last edited:
You can do most of the settings from Proxmox WebUI without manually editing the interfaces file. Take a look at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration.

I would use something like this:

Code:
iface ens7f1 inet manual

iface enp9s0f1 inet manual

iface ens7f0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        address 192.168.0.100/8
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge_ports ens7f1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s ens7f1 wol g

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcel15160
You can do most of the settings from Proxmox WebUI without manually editing the interfaces file. Take a look at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration.

I would use something like this:

Code:
iface ens7f1 inet manual

iface enp9s0f1 inet manual

iface ens7f0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        address 192.168.0.100/8
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge_ports ens7f1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -s ens7f1 wol g
Thank you very much!
Now everything is working again! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!