my pool "rpool" simply vanished

charleslcso

Oct 1, 2022
My new install of PBS (using latest 2.x) has been running fine for a few weeks, and in the last few days it suddenly becomes unavailable in PVE.

Upon rebooting the PBS, I realise my rpool is gone.

There has been no warnings about degrade, nothing about IO delays, nothing.

Please see screen capture.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

My HDD is a Seagate 8Tb CMR drive. From this post I think the drive is good enough for backup purpose.

Now, is my pool forever gone, or I can somehow recover it? The PBS instance is in the same 8TB drive, so I guess the drive is working. Also I'm using only 1 drive for this PBS.

Please help.

Last edited:
The good news is that you are actually able to import the pool, zpool import -f worked, which means that the pool seems to be intact.
What happens if you exit the rescue shell after importing, or run zpool import -N -f and exit?

The good news is that you are actually able to import the pool, zpool import -f worked, which means that the pool seems to be intact.
What happens if you exit the rescue shell after importing, or run zpool import -N -f and exit?
After running zpool import -N -f I get this:

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Exiting to shell after the import I get kernel panic:

FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

Still scary stuff...

I roughly managed to reproduce your problem.
Apparently zpool import isn't enough, you have to import the pool by importing it by name: zpool import -N rpool and exit.

If that doesn't work, try it without the -N and post the output of zpool list and zfs list. The latter one should say something like rpool/ROOT/pve-1 something something /

Correct. zpool import without a pool to import will just list importable pools. zpool list and zfs list will only work once the pool got imported.

But yes, the "one or more devices is currently unavailable" doesn't look good. I would cut the power and try it again. If it still isn't importable you might want to boot into a Live Linux with ZFS support (like Ubuntu) and then check whats going on. Like checking the partitions with parted, running a smart selftest with smartctl and so on.

Correct. zpool import without a pool to import will just list importable pools. zpool list and zfs list will only work once the pool got imported.

But yes, the "one or more devices is currently unavailable" doesn't look good. I would cut the power and try it again. If it still isn't importable you might want to boot into a Live Linux with ZFS support (like Ubuntu) and then check whats going on. Like checking the partitions with parted, running a smart selftest with smartctl and so on.
I am totally new to this stuff. I’ll try and see what happens next by following your instructions.

This old Mac mini has this issue since PBS 2.1, I think. After an unknown period of time, it would not let me access the GUI. So I thought I should upgrade to the last version 2. Actually it is worse.

When using the previous version a simple reboot will work. Now the pool disappears.

Same HDD, same Mac mini. The HDD is connected directly to the SATA port, not via USB-SATA port.

1. Could this be hardware issue?
2. I dont mind to lose everything in the original rpool. How could I start over again to build a new rpool?
3. How do I find out the cause so to avoid it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!