My partition table is lost

ressel

Mar 7, 2010
Hello everyone,

I really need some help now, my server who contains 6 x 1.5 TB is setup with following raid setup on my Intel Raid controller.
disc 0 + 1 is in array 0
disc 2 + 3 is in array 1
disc 4 + 5 is in array 2
All my arrays is running with raid 1, when I made the setup i installed Proxmox on array 0 and then i extended the proxmox lvm to array 1 + 2.

2 weeks ago i had some problems with the raid controller, it said there was a HDD error, I saw that error was cause by a cable with bad connection on some of the sata cables.
My friend changed the sata cables for me, and tried to get the server up and running again, I don't know what he did but when I took over the server again the partition table was lost.
I have tried scan the hard drive and i it seems to contain all my data. when I run fdisk -l with live disc i says following:

This is array 0
Disk /dev/sda: 1500.0 GB, 1499999502336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182364 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc on array1 and array2 neither contains any partition tables.

Does any one know how I can get my setup up and running again?

All my arrays is running with raid 1, when I made the setup i installed Proxmox on array 0 and then i extended the proxmox lvm to array 1 + 2.

Had a 2nd thought.
When you did pvcreate on Array 1 + 2 did you create a partition or put the physical volume directly onto the array?
If you put it directly on the array there would not be a partition table.

Maybe the cables were re-arranged and now Array 0 has one of the disks from Array 1 or 2
That would explain how you could have ended up with no partition tables.

Had a 2nd thought.
When you did pvcreate on Array 1 + 2 did you create a partition or put the physical volume directly onto the array?
If you put it directly on the array there would not be a partition table.

Maybe the cables were re-arranged and now Array 0 has one of the disks from Array 1 or 2
That would explain how you could have ended up with no partition tables.
My friend who replaced the bad cables, said he changed 1 cable at time to prevent that they would be re-arranged.

When I created the setup 1½ years ago i'm pretty sure we created a LVM partition and added it to the VG.
So for array 1 + 2 it should just be a LVM partition for the whole disc.

If you did:
pvcreate /dev/sdb
and
pvcreate /dev/sdc

Then sdb and sdc would not have a partition table and not seeing one would be expected.
What you could do is boot up some live CD and run pvscan and pvdisplay.
That should list your LVM volumes.

Maybe you can post the output here in the forum so we can help decipher what is going on.

Hello Again,

This is the reply from a Ubuntu live
root@ubuntu:~# pvscan
No matching physical volumes found
root@ubuntu:~# pvdisplay
root@ubuntu:~#

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!