My host randomly hang/freeze, some ideas?

MikeLino

Apr 29, 2014
Hi to all, for first sorry for my bad english....
I have a problem with a zimbra installation (8.0.6.GA.5922) on ubuntu (UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition) virtualized with proxmox (Proxmox VE 3.1-21/93bf03d4).
The problem is that this machine freez randomly; all services like apache are stopped and i can't access with ssh.
The server is in production and i very need help, can you help me please?
I think the problem is connected to Proxmox and ubuntu host, some incompatibility or kernel version?????

Can someone help to investigate?
Many thanks.

Hi, many thanks for your quickly reply.
Is a VM with 4 emulated cpu (default kvm64) and 5Gb ram; where i can see the load avg? with my eyes i see that the cpu load don't exceed 40%.
the host is configured with debian(squeeze) where i have installed proxmox.
Please help me ;-)

You mentioned you cannot access via SSH. Can you get to root prompt through VNC console?
If you can install a tool 'htop': # sudo apt-get install htop
Then run it by simply typing htop from command prompt. See if anything looks odd.

Just when freeze i can't have ssh access. now i can access with console and ssh.
installing htop and report you, see you in 5 min...

Hi, now has freeze during htop and I have not seen anything strange.... load avg: 0.10 0.10 0.12 in the web admin of proxmox i see that the cpu usage (during freeze) is 76%

I solved it by installing the kernel proper.
thank you very much

Hi MikeLino,

Care to share what linux kernel version are you using to fix the random freezes of Zimbra on Ubuntu? I'm having the same issue with Zimbra 8.6 patch 6 on Ubuntu 14.04.4 kernel 4.2. Installing the virtual kernel did not help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!