Museum KVM switch

boomel

Aug 28, 2024
We are a museum (Greenham Common Tower, look it up) and run multiple screens that display various Flight radar etc screens up in the control tower. I would like a simple (some of our guides are very non technical) way to switch between 6-8 VM's running on Proxmox server and several screens. It needs to be as simple as press a button and a particular VM comes up on the screen with correct keyboard (see diagram). We have access to a 3d printer to print the buttons, but how could I implement this? A KVM? However I just they to press a button.

BOOMEL

Attachments

• Tower.jpg
    Tower.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 16
I would like to add to this. We are planning a new hardware install. Up to about 8-10 vms mainly running pi os with api,s out to flight radar. I am thinking a refurbished dell or hp workstation (Xeon) with loads of RAM and hard disk. I have a budget of around £500.

BOOMEL

My suggestion would be to find some customisable VNC client and install it on your (I suppose) thin client that runs monitors; though this case also seems more like XY problem, but if its going to work for you - would be cool to know! :)

If I had each node on a separate we browser tab, how could I use a button to switch between tabs?
I mean, that goes outside PVE topic, but e.g. my browser Vivaldi allows using Ctrl + 0-9 key combo to switch between tabs; it's also probably possible to rebind to single button

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!