multiple virtual machines serving a website on 1 ipadress (wan)

knireis

Feb 3, 2011
This is not directly proxmox related but i can't find some info on the web how to achieve my goal. Most info is about 1 server running multiple websites. Maybe someone can point me in the good direction with some links or other info.

I have a server running proxmox with several containers, each running a website on an apache server. But i have only 1 external ipadress from my ISP.

I would like to use port 80 on the websites, so using portforwarding to the correct container does not work.

How do i solve this?

i think what you need is a reverse proxy,
you set up an "external" machine with the reverse proxy, and this machine proxies web servers from different "internal" machines...

just look for nginx or apache, or others, google them with "reverse proxy"

M

Thanks, i installed pound on the proxmox host but have troubles with the config file.

My router transfers inbound http requests to port 80 on the proxmox node server. I have this in the config file:

ListenHTTP
Address 192.168.1.5
Port 80
Service
BackEnd
Address 192.168.1.11
Port 80
End
End
End

I also tried with the listen ip set to 127.0.0.1 or the ip from my isp but when i point my browser to my external ip, i get the proxmox webinterface and the request is not transfered to the container with ip 192.168.1.11.
When i point my browser to 192.168.1.11 i do get the correct website.
Any clues?

Thanks, i installed pound on the proxmox host but have troubles with the config file.

...did you install the reverse proxy on the "proxmox host"?
i'm hoping that your pve host is not directly connected to the internet...
i think it should be better to have "pound" in a vm, running on a proxmox host... not directly installed on the pve host..?..

...did you install the reverse proxy on the "proxmox host"?
i'm hoping that your pve host is not directly connected to the internet...
i think it should be better to have "pound" in a vm, running on a proxmox host... not directly installed on the pve host..?..

I first installed pound in a container but could not get it to work, so i tried it directly on the host. Unfortunately no luck here as well.

I took another config file from the web, and adjusted it to my situation a now it works fine.
Thanks for the 'pound' pointer!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!