multiple versions of snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beastie

Apr 2, 2011
Is it possible to automatically have multiple versions of snapshots of vm's ?
I want to make several snapshots a day/week of a vm and keep multiple versions so I can go back further then the last version when I restore.
for example I want to make a snapshot every day but I want the snapshots of a whole week available so I can restore to any day of a whole week not just the one from yesterday.

Yes you can, see 'man vzdump' for the maxfiles setting.

I know I can do it with the vzdump but where can I automate this, in other words what file do I need to adapt to make it permanent.

as Erwin123 already told you, read 'man vzdump'

and this is the attitude causing open source software to be way less popular then it should be ....

I just answered your simple question, so there is just no 'attidute' behind this answer. You got immediate response for free for your questions, so what do you miss?

A nice answer would have been you can't do it through the proxmox interface but you can use vzdump config file (/etc/vzdump.conf) to set the maxfiles setting.

The answer I got from Erwin123 was way more usefull then repeating the 'man vzdump'.
Do you have any clue how many people don't know enough about linux to figure it all out by themselves and find hundreds of 'read man page' answers which don't help them in the least while one short little answer with enough info can help them and others that search this answer so the same question isn't repeated a million times with a million times the same RTFM answer ?

for future reference of anyone searching the answer:

You can't do this at this moment through the proxmox interface but you can use the /etc/vzdump.conf file to adapt the maxfiles setting.
In the config file add a line saying maxfiles: N (replace N with the number of versions you want to keep).

Telling anyone to RTFM (I do acknowledge you did use nicer words but meant the same) is showing an attitude that does more harm to open source software then any marketing campaign of any closed source company ever can ...

This is public forum but it does not mean that each user can define his own rules.

In this forum (this also applies to 99 % or all other community forums) we got the following rules:
  1. If you have any questions, read the documentation on the wiki (including hints to man pages)
  2. If you can find the answer, search the forum.
  3. If you still have no solution, open a new thread and ask kindly for help.
seems you just ignore point 1, point 2 and also point 3. So if you cannot accept these rules you cannot use this forum and I am pretty sure your account will be suspended by one of the admins.

Probably better suited for you: our commercial support offers.

And to the topic, your summary is wrong, you can also do it via web interface (if you use pvetest repo).

1: I did search the wiki nowhere this was specified ...
2: I did search the forum and couldn't find this answer ...
3: I asked politely but got told off all because I just pointed out that you shouldn't be saying rtfm to people ...

so as of infringements I don't see where I broke any rule
if you see the need to suspend my account go ahead

it's also appalling that nowhere in this thread it was mentioned that in the pvetest repo this was included but now you will mention it ? Why wasn't that in your original reply ?
why would I want to buy any commercial support from people that will not answer me (or partially should I say).
I asked a proxmox question (I know how to do it in linux console) I had hoped for a standard reply on how to do it in proxmox or sorry can't do that have to do it in the linux console ....

If you want to delete this that is ok, if I had your contact info i would keep this a private chat, I'm just trying to explain to you it's more helpful to give an answer then just say rtfm ...

no one told you rtfm. why don´t you just read 'man vzdump'? I cannot believe that you cannot do this as Erwin123 already told you in the very first answer - instead of reading it you are asking questions which are answered in this man.

anyways, this is not the right place for such quite useless discussions, so I will close this thread as the issue is solved - if you have other questions follow the rules and if needed, open a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!