Multiple public subnets

Paspao

Aug 1, 2017
Hello,

I need to setup a production cluster of 5 nodes.

I need to configure 4 public IP subnets to assign to LXC.

I want to be able to migrate any LXC to any node.

Do I need to create 4 bridges (on all nodes) one for every subnet and assign LXC to them so if container migrate they will find same bridge?

I would like to use a single NIC for WAN , do I need to add one 1 IP for every subnet to the NIC and define routes?

I have the option too to use a single larger subnet too and it would be easier but less versatile.

I Thank you for any suggestion.
P.

The five nodes need to be in the same layer2 network (you could use a separate one for each of the 4 IP-subnets, but usually, you cannot have 1 IP subnet in multiple layer2 networks).

If you assign each network to a VLAN of by itself you can use one vlan_aware bridge (getting all VLANS for the networks) and assign the vlan-tag to a container, based on the network.
(you can also have the 4 networks on one VLAN and not deal with vlan_awareness or tags per interface (although this makes the networks more tightly coupled)

The PVE-nodes do not need an ip in each of the networks

Check out the reference documentation for a first overview: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!