Multiple passthrough disk to VM

antechno

Feb 9, 2017
Hi guys,
I would like to know if it's possible to assign more than one phisycal SSD to VM (Debian in my case) with /dev/disk/by-id/ command.
I want to passthrough two SSD disk and create a mdadm Raid 1 beetween them to increase read performance and reliability of VM's data (xfs partition on SSD for FOG)
I have a Dell H310 Mini Raid card (in IR mode, not IT) with one SSD connected. Through the bios of my Dell Poweredge the option "Non Raid" Drive has been selected for this SSD. Now, I want to add another SSD and set up the same option.
Is it feasible from your point of view or I'll need to plan a different configuration?

Attachments

• h310.PNG
    h310.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 10
  • disk.PNG
    disk.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 11
  • VM.PNG
    VM.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thank you for the answer. And for two SSD to pass through, take in mind that I have a Dell H310 card, what is the best solution? Create an LVM Raid 1, use mdadm (I have read that for SSD disk is not a good option due to the degradation of the disk) or choose ZFS? I want to get speed performance with the second SSD and avoid to lose data of my VM.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with raid controllers. But inside your vm you can do whatever fits you. I don't think that an mdraid wears your ssd out faster than any other of your options.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!