Multiple Nics and SDN

imoniker

Aug 28, 2023
hello,

I wonder if it is possible to configure SDN for servers with multiple NICs.
For example, I've servers with 4x10Gb Nics, I want to configure
- two of 10Gb Nics as Guest Network with BGP EVPN enabled.
- another two of 10Gb Nics as PVE host management + external Ceph cluster connection with traditional VLAN enabled.
I find no place to assign NICs or Linux bridges during the SDN configuration, so is this kind of configuration possible for PVE?

evpn is an overlay network running over underlay tcp network, so that mean that it's not managing itself the nic (and the aggregation/balancing).
It's simply use the network ip to reach the peers ip you have defined.

if you want to use multiples nics:

what you can do:
-1) do a bond with the 2 nic.

2) or do ecmp networking, for example, in /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
        address 192.168.0.1/24

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
        address 192.168.1.1/24

auto dummy0
iface dummy0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1/32
        link-type dummy
        post-up ip route add default metric 100 nexthop via 192.168.0.254 nexthop via 192.168.1.254

traffic from 10.0.0.1 (loopback) will be routed && balanced between eth0/eth1.
in sdn configuration, you need to add extra bgp controller, and add the dummy0 in loopback field.
(to configure evpn network to use 10.0.0.1 as source)

The 2) is more used when you have layer3 network with only routers and point to point connections.

The more simple is to use a bond, if you have a classic layer2 network with switches.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!