Multiple Monitors

gte451f

Mar 16, 2010
Hey guys, I've searched the Forums and the Interweb but have not yet found a way to support multiple monitors on KVM.

In short, I've got Windows 7 VMs that I'd like to make available to other Windows 7 users via RDP that supports multiple monitors.

Windows 7/RDP supports this, how can I make this happen on the guest VM?

Windows RDP has nothing to do with KVM, so I do not understand this question.

"Windows RDP has nothing to do with KVM"

I'll rephrase to see if I can make this request more clear.

1. Windows 7 supports publishing multiple "monitors" over RDP so long as the local desktop/graphics card has multiple heads.

2. KVM hosts Windows 7 VMs

3. How do I get a guest Windows 7 VMs to publish 2 "monitors"? just like their physical counter parts.

*The way I see it, I need a graphics card that supports multiple monitors installed on the host machine then somehow push that down to the Guest VM.

As Tom stated, this has nothing to do with KVM capabilities.
If your Win7 on a real machine can provide 2 screens over rdesktop when the host has only one then it should be possible with any virtualisation. If not, then not.
It definitely does not matter how many screens your virtualisation host is able to support.

Rgds Holgi

thanks for the details. as far as I know KVM cannot provide two graphic cards, now.

I guess speaking more generally, how can a user on a desktop with two physical monitors (linux, windows you pick) connect to a VM Guest and fill both monitors with that VM Guest desktop.

Where does this responsibility lie? On the Virtual Server (KVM, XEN) or the Protocol (RDP, ICA, SPICE, VNC)?

So there are a couple of ways that Windows support multiple monitors I got it.

What I wonder is what is required to product multi monitor support on a guest VM running Windows. In all the examples that I've googled, one needs Windows to "see" multiple displays. Consider the first screen shot in your link, there is a monitor #1 and #2. How does one produce that effect in a guest VM?

Ok, now i got it.
As far as my knowledge goes, quemu (or more precise: the grafic card emulation they use) does not support multi monitors.
So Tom was right, as usual.

rgds, Holgi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!