Multi Datacenter Management

Sep 23, 2019
Because the nature of the network I work in having multiple data centers is mandatory. With our recent deployments we will reach 26 node's in 7 locations. I've strongly advocated purchasing support from promox as well as phasing out VMware systems. Some of the more ridged SA's are digging in there heel's. One of the many complaints they have expressed to management is the lack of centralized management for all the data centers. I was hopping to put some people at ease by getting some answers.

1. Is a central datacenter management interface still in active development and is there an idea of when it would be available to paid subscribers.
2. in the mean time is there any 3rd party interfaces that use the API to manage clusters?

Another issue is file level back ups:
3. Is there any front ends to lzop & vma?
Example "lzop -d -c ${the_backup_file} | vma extract -v /dev/stdin /target/directory/name"

Last edited:
1. Is a central datacenter management interface still in active development and is there an idea of when it would be available to paid subscribers.
Yes, we're added API tokens for this and active development currently goes into a proof-of-concept to have remotes with VM migration to "external" nodes or clusters. A timeline of availability can not yet be promised, would be pure speculation.

3. Is there any front ends to lzop & vma?
Example "lzop -d -c ${the_backup_file} | vma extract -v /dev/stdin /target/directory/name"

Sorry, can you please elaborate on this a bit more.

Yeah - I'm looking at how this could be achieved also - although we don't have anywhere near as many nodes or locations - just what will eventually be 4 nodes in 2 locations - but a slow ass WAN link between the two locations...

As such, yeah - it'd be cool to do migrations over the slow ass link - and manage them all as one - but I can see the value of having them all in the one UI - just under different 'locations' where there is currently a 'Datacentre' entry in the main list.

I mean, for us, we'd have the server / node names based on where that node is located, and with so few servers it wouldn't matter - but I can see a location aware thing as being quite handy - with optional warnings / prompts when attempting to migrate between locations...

Its there a aproximate date for

Multi Datacenter Management?​

i am not using proxmox in production due this need.

Last edited:
Reactions: yyyy
A simple +1 here for Multi Datacenter Mgmt.

In the first iteration it would be entirely sufficient (for me) to have a single-point of entry, as you now have for a given cluster, where any of the nodes frontends can serve as admin endpoints.

It definitely would limit quite a few open tabs in my browser now. ;-)

+1

Reactions: jebbam
Any news on this??
I'm about to deploy a 2 DC solution for a customer next week, would be good to have a road map to point to when this might be available :)
Just a guess.... but this will not happen before 2025.... maybe an early beta by 2024....

Reactions: climbtech
This would be Fantastic!! +1 on this. It could be like unifi's self hosted controller except for Proxmox servers. Love this idea +1

Fingers crossed, but 2+ years since OP, I think it is gonna be awhile still.

it does require a lot of prep work since we want to re-use existing components and code. the remote migration (from one cluster to another) code has seen a few iterations already and is starting to stabilize, so hopefully that will be available as a preview/experimental feature sometime later this year.

Very glad to hear that we are getting the remote cluster migration soon.
+1 for the multi cluster management interface

If someone wants to build such an interface, we and I'm sure others are definitely interested and I think people are willing to spend money for that.
Maybe it needs a 3rd party solution first

Some config syncs or bulk editing between clusters would be nice too. It`s really annoying to add/edit/remove IP sets, aliases, security groups because I want them to be the same on all clusters so I can move my guests between them, using PBS backup+restore, without breaking the networking/firewall. Right now I do every action multiple times, once in every webUI. And from time to time I need to manually copy the cluster.fw between nodes to get everything synced up again, in case I screwed something up and forgot to do a add/edit/delete on any of the nodes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!