MSSQL server backup chain becomes broken after snapshot backup

Andrii Pavlikovskyi

Sep 26, 2018
Proxmox VE 5.3
Windows Server 2016 VM (Qemu Agent enabled)
SQL Server 2016
Backup conf:
upload_2019-3-4_12-4-47.png

Inside Windows Server 2016 VM I have an app which runs MSSQL backups - a full backup once per week and differential backup once per day.

After Proxmox makes a snapshot, MSSQL backup chain becomes broken so I can't use differential backups. Tried to Google it but found nothing. Any suggestions?

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
In my scenario (with daily zfs-auto-snapshots) I'm also using additional Windows VM diffential backup tool for some data folders. Anyway seems that each differential backup takes pretty much same ammount of disk space as a regular "full" backup...

On the other hand making a data backup under VM (with atchive atributes update) also affects ZFS snapshot size.

Multiple layered backups seem to affect each other (@ least in some cases/scenarios) unless you figure it out precisely...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!