MSI RX480-what I’ve figured out so far

LucidDev

Feb 1, 2021
Okay I’m new to this who things. I’ve spent the better part of a week getting a PVE setup going. Started on unraid, then tried to do a qemu KVM in arch then Debian, and in the process came across a thread for proxmox when I was looking into the AMD reset bug. Then when typing in “wtf is proxmox” (I had been pulling my hair out which is hard since I’m bald.) I came across a techno Tim video. Bam a bit of knowledge from the other attempts and some more googling along with a techno Tim video on gpu passthrough. I was set.... for my wife’s half of the setup. My side was running with a slight issue. I had this glaring driver listed laughing in my face. My old card (poor man showing off here) a Radeon HD 5770 (Tim Allen laugh) showed up no problem on my wife’s glorified gaming machine used for doing her homework and typing out word documents. My (still showing off a literally dumpster find a friend found in an apartment abandoned) an MSI RX480 shows that horrid Microsoft basic video driver. I tried adding the cpu flags Techno Tim recommended (bad idea ended up actually reinstalling ProxMox because everything jammed up and removing it did NOT resolve the issue. I’m very certain I screwed up something else and didn’t realize it. Okay long as heck story. If anyone else is fighting this. I have so far figured out that if you do what Techno Tim said and ONLY passthrough the video and not the audio it will work. Ignore the CPU flags. Subsequent attempts resulted in failure. If you SSH back in and add/leave only CPU: then you’re set and the system will reboot fine. (May need a little help with the power button.) then go into the pci device in hardware and tick the pci-express option. You will then see your lovely rx480 in device manager. One little tiny itty bitty issue though. It will randomly go black and you’re wife will say screw this I’m going to bed after you restarting five more times. If anyone had gotten through this hellish post and they figure out how to stop the reset issue let me know. If I figure it out I’ll post it here.

Oh forgot to post my specs
Asrock x370 mobo
Ryzen 1700x (no oc)
32gb 3200 ram
And you know the graphics cards.

Wait so is that randomly going to a black screen also an issue with the reset bug?
honestly i did not see that bit, no that should not be part of the reset bug, anything in 'dmesg' ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!