MS Office 2003 problems on Proxmox 2.0

is there a doc on how to install the previous said kernel?

You need to upload it to the host and manually install it with the following command.

#dpkg -i pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve_2.6.32-55_amd64.deb

After it was installed, you need to reboot and choose it at the boot menu.

Hope this help!

I couldn't find anything similar in the forums for this. We are converting XenServer vms over to Proxmox 2.0. After converting a couple of customers, we got a complaint that they couldn't open MS Word to be able to paste into it. We checked into it and sure enough if you launched MS Word 2003 directly it would open a partially drawn window, stop, and freeze up unresponsive holding 50% of CPU and never go anywhere and you'd have to force it closed. At first we thought that this was just unique to this customer but after going to a couple of other VMs on the same Proxmox 2.0 server we found that Word was acting the same in those. So we had the idea of installing Microsoft Office 2003 Professional fresh in a fresh Windows 2003 Server VM on Proxmox that was not a conversion. We had the exact same problem on the fresh install. We had thought it might be a normal.dot issue but the issue exists on many VMs including the fresh install so we can't be talking about corruption. We had thought it might be the fault of Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.0 but it's not common to all VMs with this issue.

I've tried the VM with just an ide driver for the disk instead of the RedHat Virtio driver and that didn't make a difference. I tried different video card drivers and that didn't make a difference either. We've found that Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2010 both work just fine but switching to one of those for all customers involved is not an option as many will have big problems with the stupid "Ribbon" interface in the newer versions of Office.

Proxmox 2.0 is on a Dell 2950 with 2 Quadcore 5400 series Xeon processors with 32 GB of RAM. This machine is the master node in a cluster of 2 machines with a Dell 1950 as the secondary cluster node.

At this point we are stopped as far as converting from Xen to Proxmox because of this so any suggestions/answers would be greatly appreciated and much desired.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Hi,

maybe it sticks to the problems I had..

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8400-New-2-6-32-Kernel-for-Proxmox-VE-1-9-stable

Regards
Eike

Thanks Eike,

The post #15 of the thread you referred to, also works with the newer kernel 2.6.32-12.

Thanks Eike,

The post #15 of the thread you referred to, also works with the newer kernel 2.6.32-12.

Ok, I had also problems with Kernel 2.6.32-7 and after downgrading to -4 or -6 the system worked without problems..

i have the same problem with one application. That runs only with kernel 2.6.18. No one can say why :( So, one proxmox server must stay on proxmox 1.9 or we buy a new server app for thousend of euro.

i have the same problem with one application. That runs only with kernel 2.6.18. No one can say why :( So, one proxmox server must stay on proxmox 1.9 or we buy a new server app for thousend of euro.

Did you try 2.6.32-11 on Proxmox 2.1?

Yes, i have tried all Kernel versions since latest 2.6.18. Only the 2.6.18 family works with this server application.

Sorry to some what hijack but I feel the need to post my experiences which seem very similar to this:

Client server running Proxmox 2.1

We build a x64 Windows 7 Pro VM to host a single application via RDP.
This application is not Microsoft Office suite such as Word etc but rather an accounting package (loosely based on Visual Fox Pro)...

I have spent many hours testing in order to get this working but it fails every time, basically when you open the application it (normally) opens a full size window briefly then disappears and presents you with a login screen (roughly 30% of overall screen size and in the middle of your screen). Works flawlessly on a physical x64 Win 7 etc with no tweaking to the OS as such. This application opens that initial splash screen lets call it and hangs there, CPU use goes through the roof and appears to vary with different CPU emulation options, aka 2 cores = 50% load, single core = 100% load, no option other than end task.

I have tested the following thus far:

Win 7 x64 with DEP as default
Win 7 x64 with DEP on and then allowing exclusions for every .exe in this applications folder
Win 7 x64 with DEP disabled using (bcdedit /set {current} nx AlwaysOff)

I have also tested to exhaustion with all CPU emulation types for that VM (that support x64 of course).
I understand from further reading that DEP on a x64 OS will never disable itself even with all of the above tests for a native x64 application. It will however for x86 applications which this particular accounting package is. When running under task manager it has the processname.exe *32

I even tried to test different VGA options thinking this may have an effect with it's splash screen stage...
From my tests I can not get anything other than "standard VGA" working as expected. With that I mean when selecting Cirrus Win 7 x64 shows this as a Standard VGA Adapter, VMWare fails with driver stopped or similar when trying all different vmware drivers (SVGA, SVGA II, SVGA 3D?)

I have also tested this application on multiple Proxmox 2.* Hosts with the same behaviour.
This application on Windows 7 x86 (under Proxmox 2.*) seems to work ok but ONLY once you hard disable DEP using that above bcdedit method.

Sorry for the rather long post but I thought it may be helpful to keep things alive and give some other insight / testing of things.

here is pveversion -v in case anyone is curious (host server is a dual socket Xeon E5420)

pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-27
libpve-access-control: 1.0-21
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-18
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

I have been fighting the same issue for a while now; initially I had converted some Windows XP SP3 vm's from VMware WS to Proxmox 2.1-1 and all was well after applying the mergeide.reg fix until I tried to open IE8 or Office 2003 - both just stalled on 100% cpu (1 cpu/1 socket) with the program window partly drawn. I tried reinstalling IE8, Office 2003 etc, changing vm parameters etc but nothing helped.

Anyway - the solution in my case was to disable DEP on the Windows XP under Proxmox!
System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery. Click Settings then Edit and change the "/noexecute=optin" to "/noexecute=alwaysoff". Save the boot.ini file, reboot and problem was fixed.

Sorry for repeating what others may have said but I can confirm that in my case it did fix the problem. Hopefully the underlying problem in the kernel will get fixed.

latest kernel seems to fix the issue (2.6.32-14-74 and later).

latest kernel seems to fix the issue (2.6.32-14-74 and later).

Thanks for that update Tom, much appreciated.

Will test sometime shortly then upgrade our clients Server for whom we have held back kernel updates for.

I did tests on several servers - win2008r2 with office 2003 - just default installations.

not working with 2.6.32-13 but working without any tweaks on 2.6.32-14-74.

I should have said this last year, I know. I apologize. Thank you Tom for spending the time to attack this issue and verify that it HAS been fixed as of that kernel version.

Proxmox is an awesome product. Keep up the great work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!