Moving PVE installation from 2TB RAID to 512GB NVMe

veks

May 8, 2022
Hi all!
I'd like to dd clone from 2TB RAID to the 512GB NVMe an installation of PVE.
I don't have any VMs on it, so I just need to preserve it's configuration and settings.
All my VMs and LXCs are on the second 1TB SSD drive (lvmthin volume).

What would be the best way to do this?

Is an solution to delete an "local" PVE storage and then dd clone the /dev/sda to nvme?
Or?

If I don't shrink the sda that is 2TB (used only 100GB) to less then 512GB, will dd still clone to the 512GB NVMe drive? Or I need to shrink it first?

This is how it looks:
https://prnt.sc/Bi1ZmUOYzc46
View attachment 38831
https://prnt.sc/QA2aVtddf35W
View attachment 38832

Thanks a lot!

hi,

if you don't have any important data on the disk, then i would just make a backup of the /etc/ folder (to have the container/VM configurations, storage and network settings etc.) then just reinstall PVE on the new disk.

you won't have to do anything about the 1TB SSD you have your guests on, since it will be already in your storage config once you've copied things over.

hope this helps!

Reactions: veks
hi,

if you don't have any important data on the disk, then i would just make a backup of the /etc/ folder (to have the container/VM configurations, storage and network settings etc.) then just reinstall PVE on the new disk.

you won't have to do anything about the 1TB SSD you have your guests on, since it will be already in your storage config once you've copied things over.

hope this helps!
And what is the best way to backup the /etc/ folder? Compress it, and download it via FTP, and after the new installation just copy it over the new etc? Or?
Thanks!

And what is the best way to backup the /etc/ folder? Compress it, and download it via FTP, and after the new installation just copy it over the new etc? Or?
yes something like that should work :)
for example tar czvf etc-backup.tar.gz /etc/ would make the archive, then you could download it over SSH (SCP).
after setting up the new machine extract the contents of the archive onto the new one.

as a fallback you could also make a backup of the files in /var/lib/pve-cluster (the sqlite db is the fuse filesystem that's mounted on /etc/pve).

alternatively you can just backup /etc/pve, but it helps to have the whole /etc/ folder just in case you forget how exactly you configured something (like network)

Reactions: veks
yes something like that should work :)
for example tar czvf etc-backup.tar.gz /etc/ would make the archive, then you could download it over SSH (SCP).
after setting up the new machine extract the contents of the archive onto the new one.

as a fallback you could also make a backup of the files in /var/lib/pve-cluster (the sqlite db is the fuse filesystem that's mounted on /etc/pve).

alternatively you can just backup /etc/pve, but it helps to have the whole /etc/ folder just in case you forget how exactly you configured something (like network)
Not sure if I should open the another topic or I can ask you here.

I've installed an fresh installation of Proxmox on an NVMe, but I get this error when I want to boot it (I've chose the NVMe in BIOS as primary boot):
https://prnt.sc/SRZ-dn070lgF

Any idea?

Yes, I did.
if the boot order is correct (NVME on top) and there's no hardware issue then it should boot correctly, assuming that it was installed properly on the disk (you can try mounting it on a live ISO and check that)

if the boot order is correct (NVME on top) and there's no hardware issue then it should boot correctly, assuming that it was installed properly on the disk (you can try mounting it on a live ISO and check that)
It seems that my server doesn't support booting up from NVMe via PCI-e. So I'll have to use an SATA SSD as Proxmox installation and NVMe as lvm-thin store.

Thanks for helping me out!

Reactions: oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!