Moving a virtual hard disk from NFS back to local storage.

Erk

Renowned Member
Dec 11, 2009
I have a Proxmox server running a few Linux based virtual machines using KVM only. These machines use an NFS server for their hard disk storage. The NFS server did a kernel panic earlier today and needs to be taken offline for further investigation.

What's the procedure for moving a virtual machine off NFS storage for it's hard drive, back to local storage on the proxmox server?

just copy the disk images to /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/ and assign them using the gui.

if you need to restore from backup, just use qmrestore pointing to local storage (use the --storage option, see 'man qmrestore').

Hi Tom,
I did as you suggested and it worked fine, one slight glitch. When I view the list of Virtual Machines in the Web GUI, two of the three VM's them have 0KB used in the disk column, one of them reports 80GB used as all three should be doing. Any idea what might be causing that?

Is there a method of checking the integrity of the .raw image?

Last edited:
One of mine does that, too. I figured it was because it was only 1GB.
I always thought it used to say the size the first day.

I'll be interested in learning what causes that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!