Move VM with ZFS disk to another Proxmox Server

taich

Aug 15, 2020
How can I move a VM from a ZFS disk to another Proxmox server?

Is it possible to copy the disk-file and the <VMID>.conf file to the other server?

Are they in a cluster? If so, you can simply migrate them.
If they are not in the same cluster, it is recommended to create a backup, copy it to the other server and restore it there.

The simplest way using PVE tools would be to create a backup and restore that on the target server.

If you want to go down a more manual road, there are plenty of approaches that can work:
  • zfs send & recv
  • create the target VM, boot both (source & target) with
    • Clonezilla or something similar
    • a Linux live ISO and use dd if=/dev/sdX | ssh ... and pipe it via SSH to the target where dd will receive the data and write it out to the disk

Afaik ZFS does not have VD's as a regular "files" to copy.
How about just simple backup/restore?
Using that your backgroud filesystem doesn't matter. You can backup/restore to different storage easily and restore process will match output VD's format accordingly.

Afaik ZFS does not have VD's as a regular "files" to copy.
How about just simple backup/restore?
Using that your backgroud filesystem doesn't matter. You can backup/restore to different storage easily and restore process will match output VD's format accordingly.

The VM I am talking about has 8 TB of data. Backup/Restore would take about 50 hours.
But thanks for your help.

"Managed" this to apply Gluster on it to give me the HA option, but please be aware that speeds will go down quite a bit.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!