Move VM to another node with different storage name

Florius

Jul 2, 2017
Hi,

I have a new server, bigger, better, more disk space.
I have a cluster with the old and new server.
Now I have to migrate the data of 1 VM on disk called "storage" to the new server where the disk is called "DATA".

How would I do this? If I try the normal right click option, it says "storage" does not exist on the new host.
So how can I tell the VM to move the data from "storage" to "DATA"?

Thanks!

EDIT: I wanted to add, making a backup and moving it then is no option, it's 4TB, which I have no space for.
EDIT2: It's from a ZFS store to a LVM thin pool... If it makes a difference.

You can do a migration with local disks on the CLI, see 'qm help migrate'.

Hopefully this helps future googlers like me, since the qm help migrate man page is a bit lacking

I had to migrate VMs in a cluster between 2 nodes with differently named storage. This is impossible to reconcile via the GUI (at time of writing - PVE 6.2) because it will only allow adding cluster storage if the same storage name exists on both nodes.

I used this command to migrate a VM from MYNODE1 (STEVE) to MYNODE2 (VOULA) with different source and destination storage names.
I use a dedicated network but if you only have one network that can be omitted. I had the VM turned off but it can be done while running with --online I think (haven't tested).

Bash:
qm migrate 101 VOULA -migration_network 172.16.10.0/24 -targetstorage rpool:pool1 -with-local-disks

1603947674109.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!