Move OpenVZ Container from one local storage to another

Danik

Jan 13, 2012
I need to Move OpenVZ Container from one storage to another and wanted to ask what will be the shortest downtime way?
For now I plan to do it with backup and then restore, but container size is 400gb and it will take at least several hours of downtime, which is very unlikely.
Is there any way that it could be done with less downtime?

p.s. I tried just to copy container files on test server but after coping and modifying config files – quota errors did not allowed to start container.
p.p.s. Using Proxmox 3.0

is there any way I can do it not to backup -> to some storage and then restore from some storage
just to do a copy or backup and restore at one step
if I just copy files - quota error does not allow me to start this copy - may be there is way how to fix quota error ?

it did not helped
so if anyone need it this one worked for me

# vzquota drop <vmid>
# vzctl start <vmid>

As I wrote earlier, I would really welcome an advanced migrate interface where you could not only set target node, but target storage as well.
It would be a very logical advancement, since Proxmox supports a diverse array of storage options, and a backup-restore requires considerable downtime.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!