Move cloud-init drive

Jan 8, 2022
This seems like a really silly request, but could we get a feature added that would allow us to move cloud-init volumes?

Here are a few scenarios that I can think of:
  • Migrate storage from local to clustered, or vice-versa
  • Migrate storage from one local volume to another, or remote-to-remote (NFS to Ceph)
  • Generally re-organizing storage on a server
There are many reasons one might want to do this 1) drive is showing soft errors 2) I need to expand drives 3) I'm migrating volume technology (filesystem vs block) 4) I'm still figuring out how to organize datastores inside proxmox.

This is all currently possible with the very important system volumes containing 100s of GBs of data without having to shutdown the VM, however it is NOT possible with the cloudinit volume that may have a megabyte worth of data on it, and honestly, may not be even be needed anymore. I can't even remove the drive without shutting down the VM. I would even accept detaching the storage (like an CDROM drive) and destroying/re-creating the data. I just don't want the cloud-init drive to be THE THING preventing datastore maintenance tasks.

Thanks to the Proxmox team for everything, this is great stuff overall. The things you've done are amazing.
- James

Reactions: Tomega

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!