Mounted NFS backup avoid us to login in the WebGUI

Guillaume Soucy

Oct 20, 2017
L'Orignal, Canada
guillaumesoucy.com
Hi,

I got complementary NFS backup space who coming with my server rent but this NFS backup become unavailable for few hours few days ago.

Since it come back online, I can't remount it and this is potentially the root cause of another big issue who causing me the inability to login into the WebGUI. I can see the login popup window but when I get my credentials entered I got an message saying incorrect password.

But I can successfully login using the SSH. When logged to the machine with SSH, I did an df -h but it hang, did an cd /mnt/nfs and it hang again. So when I did an umount /mnt/nfs I got an busy resource message return in the terminal. An umount -l /mnt/nfs allowing me to unmount the nfs mount but I can't remount it with mount /mnt/nfs and I still can't login using the WebGUI.

I contact my data center provider and they suggest me to reboot the server. But I will try to avoid this as its a production server and there things running on it. I'm here to see if there a way to fix the issue without rebooting.

Also, the nfs was mounted in Debian using the /etc/fstab and it used by Proxmox as a backup location and .iso storage. It was setup as directory in Proxmox, not direclty as NFS.

It is a way to make Proxmox discarding the storage space in question to see if this will temporary fix the issue using terminal command as I can't login into the WebGUI.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Hi,

I guess you have zombies or processes what are waiting for IO.
These processes are uninterruptable so you can't kill them.
The only solution is to reboot the kernel.

NFS is known for these problems.
You can try to set the nfs mount option soft, in some cases, this works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!