mount storage in vm

itsme

Apr 4, 2021
Hello everyone,
I'm sure this question has been answered before but I couldn't find a solution so far.
I'd be very thankful for help in form of a link to a thread that answeres my question or an answer.

I created a zfs dataset which I added as storage via datacenter -> storage -> add -> directory

THE TASK: I want to use said storage as storage inside an ubuntu vm for my nextcloud data.

THE QUESTION: How do I mount this storage inside my vm in a way that I can automount it on boot of the vm
via fstab and have read write access to it?

I know I can add a Disk via Hardware -> add -> Hard Disk
I don't know what kind of format I should use for my purposes.
I want to mount it via fstab and I don't know a way to mount qcow2 that way.

am I aproching this problem the wrong way?

Thank you very much in advance for taking the time for my problem!

If you use
  • datacenter -> storage -> add -> zfs (Disk Image) instead of directory
  • Hardware -> add -> Hard Disk lets use select the zfspool to use "raw" storage. This uses a ZVOL, which you can format from within the VM and mount in fstab.
Alternative: use nfs

OR:

For netcloud you can also use an lxc container, which then lets you mount a zfs dataset directly:
Code:
pct set 100 -mp0 /storage/share/downloads,mp=/home/user/downloads

Thank you very much!
This solved my problem nicely. :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!