[SOLVED] Mount RBD pool in LXC CT?

Gardouille

Mar 11, 2013
wiki.101010.fr
I try to map and mount a RBD pool (from a ceph cluster) into a LXC container without success …:
Code:
/usr/bin/rbd map --pool rbd test --id test --keyring /etc/ceph/ceph.client.test.keyring
rbd: sysfs write failed
rbd: map failed: (30) Read-only file system

The Ceph configuration file seems good:
Code:
/etc/ceph/ceph.conf
[global]
auth_service_required = cephx
mon_initial_members = mon1,mon2,mon3
fsid = 618bacef-6194-964f-1649-fabcde186390
keyring = /etc/ceph/$cluster.$name.keyring
auth_supported = cephx
auth_cluster_required = cephx
mon_host = 192.168.0.90:6789,192.168.0.91:6789,192.168.0.92:6789
auth_client_required = cephx

If i look the mounted fs, i got one line for /sys with read-write and another one with read-only:
Code:
mount | grep sysfs
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys/devices/virtual/net type sysfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys/devices/virtual/net type sysfs (rw)osuid odev oexec,relatime)

I guess i have to change some configurations into the CT's configuration file (/etc/pve/lxc/xxx.conf), some lxc.aa_profile or lxc.mount.auto …

But i wonder, is LXC the best way to mount and use a RBD pool? As much as possible i want to use LXC CT but without adding security risks …

Last edited:
Hi!

Sorry for the delay :)

1. So on the host:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/ct/199121/test
/usr/bin/rbd map --pool rbd test --id test --keyring /etc/ceph/ceph.client.test.keyring
mount /dev/rbd/rbd/test /mnt/ct/199121/test

2. And on the container:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/rbdtest

3. And according to the wiki (lxc bind mounts) i add a line to the CT's config file (/etc/pve/node1/lxc/199121.conf):
Code:
mp0: /mnt/ct/199121/test,mp=/mnt/rbdtest

And it works on the first host (node1).

But if i reproduce the first step on a second node, then i shutdown the CT and try to migrate it, i got an error:
Feb 03 11:49:10 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): can't determine assigned storage for mountpoint 'mp0'
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

So i try the "manual method", still in the CT's config file (/etc/pve/node1/lxc/199121.conf):
Code:
lxc.mount.entry: /mnt/ct/199121/test mnt/rbdtest none bind,create=dir,optional 0 0

Then i can successfully migrate the CT :)

Seems good for me, unless you got any other tips

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!