[SOLVED] mount parameter (USB stick) ignored

Soc

Jun 1, 2018
Hello everybody,
I have a little problem with a mount of a USB stick under Debian 9.9 (in a pve VM).
After I assigned the USB stick and formatted as ext4, I get it with the mount not out the transferred options are taken over.

It does not matter if I put these on the console via mount command, or enter in the fstab. They are simply ignored.

here my mount command:
mount -t ext4 -o auto,nofail,sync,users,rw /dev/sdb1 /media/Backup/
and the result is:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/Backup type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,sync,data=ordered)

when i use the defaults (mount /dev/sdb1 /media/Bckup/) then the output is:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/Backup type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

the blkid output is:
/dev/sdb1: UUID="479c7c08-c841-45b7-8679-cbf67258be45" TYPE="ext4"

The problem is actually when the USB stick is not plugged in, the Debian does not start anymore and hangs in the boot process.

any hints?

Soc

Try these flags: nosuid,nodev,nofail
E.g. UUID="479c7c08-c841-45b7-8679-cbf67258be45" /media/Backup ext4 nosuid,nodev,nofail 0 0

Btw, have you created the Backup folder?

Yes, i Crete the folder and give all full access.
i have now mount the volume with following command:
mount -t ext4 -o nosuid,nodev,nofail /dev/sdb1 /media/Backup/

and the result:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/Backup type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered)

Try including
Code:
UUID="479c7c08-c841-45b7-8679-cbf67258be45" /media/Backup ext4 nosuid,nodev,nofail 0 0
into fstab and reboot with the USB removed. See if it blocks the boot.

Now it works so far. I'm not sure why.
If you look at the mount table, the option does not appear.

/ dev / sdb1 on / media / Backup type ext4 (rw, nosuid, nodev, relatime, data = ordered)

You do not have to understand everything ... :)

thanks for your help.

My pleasure!
If my understanding is correct, that flag is used during boot. As soon as the device is mounted, there is no point in having nofail, since no actual fail occurred :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!