Monitoring ZFS

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi,
when I was using hardware RAID controllers on old servers I was using the RAID controller commands (megacli for LSI, arcconf for Adaptec and so on) to monitor array and drives status.

What I should use for ZFS?

Are smartctl, zfs-zed and zpool status enough to be alerted and to predict hardware and pool failures?

Thanks!

Hi,
when I was using hardware RAID controllers on old servers I was using the RAID controller commands (megacli for LSI, arcconf for Adaptec and so on) to monitor array and drives status.

What I should use for ZFS?

Are smartctl, zfs-zed and zpool status enough to be alerted and to predict hardware and pool failures?

Thanks!

Only smartctl can predict a future failure of a disk. In my opinion I see very often that WD can not be realistic when a disk will fail (no useful smartd info in this case). But for Seagate and HGST, I was see many cases when smartd was very useful.
At the zfs layer I also can say (in my opinion ) that in many cases erors after a scrub has indicated a pre-failure event. zfs-zed can email you when zfs has problems.

Zpool see problems with the pool. So when a HDD is damaged then you see an error. For Nagios there are some checkplugins. With CheckMK ZFS-Pools were montiored automaticly, also the smarterrors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!