Monitoring of PVE with Zabbix not working

I've found the solution. The guide is missing an important step. The new user (zabbix) has to be added to the same role as the key API token. By default, a new user only has permissions to /. Check Permissions under the user zabbix

What guide?

I went back to using the PVEAuditor role instead of "Datastore.Audit Sys.Audit VM.Audit" custom role.

In the 'Host macros' config I needed
{$PVE.USER} <--- nobody suggested this but it was required, apparently.
{$PVE.TOKEN.SECRET}
{$PVE.TOKEN.ID}
{$PVE.URL.HOST} <--- not sure if this is required.

The ZBX icon is still greyed out for this host and I see
skipping empty update for unregistered client
in the zabbix_agent2.log for every run. The template is working but why is the host unregistered?

I just followed the below for enabling Zabbix monitoring on my Zabbix 6.0.33 LTS
https://geekistheway.com/2022/12/31/monitoring-proxmox-ve-using-zabbix-agent/

With the extra steps of :
1: (pve host)
I replicated all the "Api token" permissions on the "Monitoring user too".

2: (Zabbix server, host definition)
Adding the Macro : {$PVE.URL.HOST} - Containing the ip (or hostname) pf my Proxmox PVE Host

See
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/api-token-not-working.154024/post-700975

What i noticed is that if you read the "User comments", below the install instructions of the "geek" page.
There are mentions of replicating the "Token api permissions" on the "user", and mention of adding the : {$PVE.URL.HOST} Macro
But they also mention Zabbix version when needing it, so "User permisison" add and/or Host Macro might only be needeed if you have a "newer version".

Ie.
I don't see any usage of Macro : {$PVE.USER} in the Zabbix 6.0.xx "yaml" file i downloaded from Zabbis.

Much of what was mentioned here as "extras", was documented in the top section of the downloaded Zabbix template "yaml" file .. See pict.

Remember to download the correct template for your Zabbix version , See pict

/Bingo

Attachments

• zab-6-yaml.png
    zab-6-yaml.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • zab-dl-template.png
    zab-dl-template.png
    67 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!